19 Mysterious Old Home Features That Aren’t Useful Anymore

I found this article and thought it might be useful for some people when inspecting older homes, it covers things like Ice Doors, Servant Floor Buttons, etc

6 Likes

Not a bad list but could easily be extended.

I see most of that stuff in Baltimore still. As a child I still remember Grandma’s Hoosier cabinet because it had a built in flour sifter which I thought at the time was a wild contraption.My Uncle told me they had a sign that said 5 cents on one side and ten cents on the other that they would put in the window to let the ice man know what size ice block to leave. My mom’s Uncle John whom they called “Brudder” imitating their mother calling him “Brother” was the fist one on the block to have a refrigerator. It was a Westinghouse “turret top.”

1927-C.preview

6 Likes

What about the good old outhouse?
be153129cd35f98f5afac262621ccd7b

1 Like

Still have them down South and Appalachia, but you’re not likely to inspect one! If you do make sure to charge extra! LOL

1 Like

Still useful in an emergency. Teaches firemen how to get trapped individuals out of an abandoned outhouse. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Would definitely check for leaks and note any absence of GFCI protection…near the sink of course…

Well…?

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

I see that has the new and improved upgrade, replacing the Monkey Wards Catalog.

2 Likes

I remember my Mother ironing the sheets with this Larry! I remember how great the sheets felt when you slept on them.

2 Likes

Antique word processor.

That one might leak at the front! :grinning:

1 Like

Simpson Sears Catalog took a lot of abuse! :grinning:

1 Like

1 Like

It
s funny that the Sorlien Bed (Ceiling hung Bed) is what makes a Toy-Hauler so roomy. Also if you have tall ceilings it could be useful
Nick

1 Like