4 Point and Federal Pacific Panels

I understand that it is best to defer Fed Pacific panel issues to licensed electrician. My question is this:

What is the requirement, or is there a requirement to note the existence of a FedPac panel on the 4 Point Form? Is it ok to just provide picture of panel, or should there be a notation on the from somewhere? Like the deficency area?

It depends on the insurance company. Some want to know the brand and some do not care. I include the brand without a comment on them.

You better give everyone a heads up on the FPE. They could get dropped for that. FPE is a fire hazard

Says who?

On a 4pt, I always explain the concerns of an FPE panel to the homeowner, as well as telling them that most insurance companies will require it to be changed. On the report, I state the manufacturer and provide a photo. I don’t state it as a deficiency, because that’s debatable, I let the insurance company make that decision.

Musta been a slow week for the Local News. :roll::roll::roll:

Start here… http://www.nachi.org/forum/f19/should-you-trust-fpe-panels-72724/

And then use the Search feature for a ton of other threads to read through.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Mr. Jonas, thanks for the threads, have already read them all and this post is more about the 4 Point form that we use here in Florida, as stated in my original question. Thanks anyway though.

No problem James, and my question to you is: Why are you singling out FPE panels? All panels should have the same amount of scrutiny applied to them, equally.

Because a majority of insurance companies here in Florida will not issue a policy, or will require replacement of the panel.

OK… so then they should have the question of Brand on their forms, as John stated above.

I do many insurance inspections in Minnesota, and have yet to see one single out a particulat brand of panel, rarely a particular brand of breaker, and only sometimes if the home has K&T, (but not as often as you would think).

Most here in Florida will get their insurance dropped with an FPE panel or insurance company will give them 30 days to replace.

Give it time…Minnesota will catch up eventually and then, the insurance companies won’t give policies if you have polybutylene, aluminum wiring, or any thing else that the insurance companies don’t want to cover! :wink:

Don’t forget PEX … some don’t like that either :wink:

And the big dog and diving boards… :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would document all electrical panels, let the insurer determine if eligibility is affected. The Four Point is very different from a home inspection. You want to show what is there and note any obvious deficienies but I would resist the temptation to draw any conclusions or define cause.

FPE is generally a coverage killer, it does not hurt to let the homeowner know it is an issue due to an elevated fire hazard but I would stop short of telling them thier house will burn down. With PEX look at the connectors for signs of corrosion, I would also indicates PEX fixture Supply Lines, let the carrier make the decision through thier underwriting process.

If the insurance companies could have their way, the 4 pt would have 1 question: Was the home built in Florida? if you answer yes, insurance is denied.

When i perform my Four Point Inspection i note all type of panels on my report, Lets the customer be aware of Federal Pacific, Zinsco, Sylvania, The insurnace will make the call, Even aluminum branch wiring what precent is in the panel. I put this in the comments. If 100% Aluminum, Recommend License electrician evaluated panel.

I don’t pull the dead front off if some hack painted over it. Tends to tear the drywall. Most clients won’t either