4 points inspection questions about the HWH

Hello, All

I did a 1981 house 4 points inspection. I learn a ton of thing from this house. I catch my first double taps in the electrical panel and I find out this 2006 HWH tank in the garage. Please see the TPR connection. OMG. My question about to fill in this form:
1, Is the TPR pipe material need include into the Type of pipes? I think the TPR pipe include Galv and flex

copper pipe
2, Do I need to notice the TPR pipe un-safety connection in the 4 Points report? I remember there is a CMI said the 4 points form only ask: "is there a TPR on the HWH?

Thanks a lot for everyone.

Defect at TPR Discharge Piping:

I observed a defect at the TPR (temperature pressure relief) valve discharge piping. The discharge pipe that drains from the temperature pressure relief valve must:

• Not be connected to the drainage system.
  • Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  • Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve.
  • Serve a single relief device.
  • Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  • Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable.
  • Not be trapped.
  • Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
  • Terminate no more than 6 inches above the floor or flood level rim of the waste receptor. And not less than 2 times the discharge pipe diameter.
  • Not have valves or tee fittings.
  • Be constructed of materials listed or rated for such use (minimum of 100 psi at 180° F).
  • Be one nominal size larger that the size of the relief valve outlet, where the relief valve discharge piping is installed with insert fittings.

Further evaluation and correction by a qualified plumbing professional is recommended.

3 Likes

The TPR valve is FUBAR and needs correction, Cheng… :flushed:

1 Like

That’s what they ask, you provide the answer.
You also have the “Satisfactory” “Unsatisfactory” check boxes.

There is a section on the Plumbing Section for “If unsatisfactory, please provide comments/details (leaks, wet/soft spots, mold, corrosion, grout/caulk, etc.)”

You see, there aren’t any defined parameters on the 4 point form (Citizens form) so make a business decision and stick to it.

3 Likes

Did the client provide you with a CBE form from Insurance company. Follow it to the T. Indicate short and sweet the deficiencies. If you did get a form, use this to create your 4-point inspection. I tried using HIP form, and program forms and all the insurance company wants is their form filled out. “If you see it describe it”

Are you also calling out the HWH directly in front of the electrical panel?

1 Like

If he puts all that in a 4Pt report, he won’t be in the insurance inspection business very long. Insurance companies have a low threshold of tolerance for fluff. Follow the form. Report what you see.

2 Likes

I’ve had conversations with many insurance companies across the state. Some of them are hiring their own inspectors because they aren’t satisfied with what they get from home inspectors. The two things they want most are consistency and brevity.

Citizens has never mandated the 4Pt format the way they did with the 1802. The result is that they are getting 4Pt reports in all sorts of different formats, many of which are not anywhere close to the official Citizens form. That puts a tremendous burden on the insurance companies. I’ve heard many inspectors comment that they don’t care what the insurance companies want. Well, that’s where the work comes from, so if they don’t care about the insurance companies, they must not care much about their own business.

All WindSurance software is 100% Citizens compliant and in the Citizens format. A number of insurance companies have purchased our software and hired their own inspectors so that they can have the consistency and brevity they need to be able to do their job efficiently.

Anyone who says to add a bunch of fluff (such as making recommendations and talking about how they think things ought to be) to a 4Pt report is giving bad advice. That stuff will kill an inspector’s insurance inspection business!

An increasing number of homeowners are having to go to Citizens for insurance because they are being dropped by their insurance company, sometimes for petty reasons.

Even though Citizens has not mandated the use of their form, they are quick to reject any report that they have trouble interpreting. Fluff will cause a report to be rejected just as surely as an incomplete form. Citizens is being deluged with applications because so many of the private insurance companies are not willing to provide insurance coverage for homes.

The advice I give to inspectors is to just follow the form. Use the official Citizens format. Check the appropriate boxes. Only add commentary where it is requested and stick with verifiable observations.

Above all , leave all the speculative stuff out and do not make any recommendations. Citizens doesn’t care about an inspector’s recommendations. They only want to know the condition of the property at the time of the inspection.

2 Likes

Check the box. In the comments sections say that it is incorrect. Keep it simple. ONE SENTENCE is all you need. You don’t need to explain how it is incorrect, only that it is incorrect.

Include the picture that you included here. Put a caption on it, “Improper TPR valve”.

That’s all you need to do. There’s no need to mention the material. All that matters to the insurance companies is that it is either satisfactory or it is not satisfactory. That’s all - nothing more, nothing less.

If you do expand on your explanation by more than one or two sentences (which I generally advise against), do it in the photo section along with the relevant photos. Remember, everything on the form is either Pass or Fail to the person reviewing the report. It either meets their criteria or it doesn’t.

3 Likes

Nice TPR Class from you, sir.

Thanks

Hi, William

I am a brand new CPI in this business and I already see my insurance broker shows me their insurance quotation question list. It is almost totally different to our 4 point form. I think you are right.

Thanks

nice point. I will keep it in my mind in my future inspector life.

thanks

you are totally right. I think InterNACHI need to give me copyright payment to keep these pictures.

thanks

Yes, my client just text me when he will receive the report for insurance quotation. I really want to tell him:" Bro, I really do not think you will get insurance for this house, it has electrical Hazard, Plumbing Hazard, Roofing is not any record and it very clear shows the owner DIY to repair some area and all nail is 6D, toe nail connection and not HIP roof."
The only good news is the HVAC had been replace in 2017.
Good luck and thanks your remind.

1 Like