All Certified Master Inspector certificates were mailed today.

I’m looking forward to receiving the certificate.

I know that there aren’t many (159 to date) CMIs (despite so many on this board incorrectly predicting otherwise), but that is simply because the life expectancy of a home inspector (a little over 3 years) is generally not enough time for one to complete the requirements to earn the CMI professional designation.

http://www.certifiedmasterinspector.org/

Gee I have almost lived three life expectancies and feel good enough for three more .
Try it ,its great.

Roy Cooke

The life expectancy (a little over 3 years for non-NACHI members, 5 years for NACHI members) of the average home inspector is less than that of a real estate agent or an NFL running back. That is why it is really saying something to have completed 1,000 inspections or continuing education hours (combined sum). Not many of us last that long.

Thanks Nick. Now I feel like an old man. Four years and counting . . . :frowning:

A real estate agent got mad at me today because the
the client got mad at the agent. You see the agent
told the client that the gas was turned on for the inspection
today, and it was not. The client got mad at the agent.
The agent then said it was my fault that the client was mad,
but with her help she would enlighten me.

Then the agent got mad at me because I wanted to
charge a fee for coming back the second time for
an inspection, when the gas finally gets turned on.

You see… if all I had was agents telling me what I am
suppose to do and think… then I would have realized
that it really was my fault. I just did not understand.

I did not understand that it is my duty to blame myself
for the agent not getting the gas turned on like they
said it would be. I did not understand that I need to
punish myself and come back and do the second inspection
at no charge, since it was my fault from the start.

After enduring approx 1100 inspection in my career,
I think its OK to feel good about being a CMI. Also I
am so glad to come home to this forum and chat
with other inspectors who are still sane and love
inspecting.

BTW… the client told me he is going to force the
agent to pay for the next inspection and then
he smiled with a mischievious grin…:twisted:

Thanks to all for being there. It’s been a long day.

Thanks Nick! Looking forward to getting my certificate.
It will be included in my reports. You never know who reads it and I get work all the time from people after they read my reports.
Thanks again for establishing a high standard we can all be proud of.

David

You probably qualify now, remember it can be combined inspections and continuing education hours. = 1000

John, I hope the punishment fit the crime!:mrgreen:

To Nick’s point;

I do a fair number of ride alongs for newer inspectors. I also try to give advice and help (part of the burden of Chapter Presidency, I guess).

I also get calls from some who complain that I market myself too hard. “Why did you buy a thermal camera? Why does your web site have such high rankings? Why do you do such a lengthy report and spend 3 - 4 hours on each report? Why do you do free pre-closing walk throughs? That’s not fair and you have to stop!”

All these complaints are because I am successful (relatively) and am doing inspections during this ‘slow season’. Yet most of these guys are doing inspections part time or only on the week-ends. They don’t have a web site (at least not one that they control, can easily update and post real content on) and don’t spend every waking, non-inspection moment marketing themselves (and NACHI!).

They believed the old ads in the back of Popular Mechanics, as so well stated by Joe Farcetta (sarcastically), “Become a Home Inspector and make $100K or more a year.”

Anyone here make that much? Especially as a one man company?

The key is to work at it. One does not spend that much time, effort and sweat and blood on something that they are not passionate about.

I am no different, “better” or smarter than 90% of the guys on this board. I have much less experience than most. But I do work at it. The last state license term (our state requires 12 hours of CE per two year license) I had 56 hours. NACHI requires 24 hours of CE per year. I have over 100 hours and am just starting my 3rd year. That does not make me a great, it just shows that I know and understand what I don’t know.

Over 200 inspections in just under 2 years in the profession and only two complaints for my clients. 4 real estate lawyers use me exclusively because they like my thoroughness and the detail of my reports. 8 agents use me exclusively because the like my reports and the way I treat the clients. In fact, I have agents and brokers begging to be linked on my web page. Does this mean that I am great? No way! All it means is that I work at it.

I try to help everyone. When they complain that they are not being successful and it is somehow my fault, I ask them, “What have you done for yourself? This isn’t about me, it’s about you.”

As to CMI. These guys have earned it. If you are jealous or angry or think that these guys have an unfair advantage, it isn’t their fault.

It’s yours.

You are perfectly capable of getting to the place that they are at. You just have to work at it.

Nothing worth having is cheap or easy.

Hops this helps;

Hello William,

Sorry to go off the subject, but how is the camera working out for you? I think I will get one in the new year. I did a CMA course put on by ESA yesterday and they had a presentation on them. I can see a big upside to having one but I am slightly worried about the added liability.

Carl, What is a CMA

Certified Mold Assessor, its just an advanced mold course. Most mold certification orgs do it

Hi Carl,

That is what the old timers said about digital cameras, something about the danger of taking a picture of one defect and having it record a defect that was missed.

Most people resist technology, those who are open to the possibilities and so-called dangers can prosper, I say go for it.

OK Joe I will. Could you give me $9k please so I can buy one, move forward and prosper? I promise to vote you another another green square if you do
Thanking you in advance

I have found it useful.

• Evaluation of water damage in a basement for flooding remidiation companies (I sub-contract to them). I also work in mold screening after the cleanup.
  • Plumbers, hydronic floors. Need I say more.
  • Energy audits. Ask this old house had a big segement on it this week.
  • As a regular part of my inspections. I just charge more for the inspection.
  • as a medical aid. Jambed my toe the other day (don’t know how. It just started to hurt) and took a look with the camera. Note the hot third toe on the left foot radiating down into the web of the foot. That’s imflamation. My Mother (a Doctor) was impressed with the diagnostic ability.

Jambed.jpg

Jambed.jpg

Will I know medical expenses are going up, but spending $9K on a camera so you don’t have to go to doctor’s is a little over board.
I hope you don’t look at your dangle bits through that thing!!!

(http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb114_ZSYYYYYYYYUS&utm_id=7922)

Thanks Nick
Certified Master Inspector Certificate Arrived today.

My certificate arrived today!!
Thanks Nick

BTW Well said Will !!!

Cheers

Mine arrived the day before Turkey Day.

It could use a little more in the way of graphics.

I think they could be a little more impressive. I like the flair that I added to a copy for my binder.

jsieg_CMI_Certificate 002.jpg

jsieg_CMI_2_Certificate 002.jpg