Are Residential Fall-Arrest Systems Common?

Hi all, I’m studying the text and I’m curious about Fall-Arrest Systems - Are they common in a residential setting? The text has a page dedicated to this topic and they’re mentioned several times throughout the Safe Practices for the Home Inspector Course.

Do y’all see these systems in place that often?

They are not used, typically, for home inspections.

If it is too steep to walk, use ladder at eaves, drone, pole with camera, etc.

Be safe!

2 Likes

When they are used, The anchor points are removed after the roofing has been completed, and then used on the next job.

1 Like

They make permanent anchor points that can be installed when the roof is installed or after. I’m thinking of installing a few on my 12/12 pitch roof. Here’s one such anchor:

2 Likes

Ok Scott, that makes sense. I’ve been on a few roofs and haven’t seen them yet!

Robert mentioned there are permanent hardware setups. Very interesting!

1 Like

Some of the higher end builders around here have the roofers install them and leave them for the home owner, especially on the steeper roofs. I’ve seen quite a few lately even big D-rings you would use on a car trailer…lol…

2 Likes

Permanently-installed fall-arrest anchors are common on houses in new developments around here. I’m guessing it probably varies a lot by area.

1 Like

Great idea :bulb:. Got me a 12/12 also. Still has shake shingles under the asphalt shingles. Want to reroof but it doesn’t leak. Just doesn’t match the rest of house. Whoever did the rest of the roof must of got scared of falling.