Basement Entrance Door | Mysterious Water Storage in 1950 Cinder Block Wall

Need your comments and opinions. This is a 1950 basement foundation right at the foot of the exterior access door. I noted a water stain on the wall going down the steps, drilled a 1/4” weep hole and was surprised with 30 minutes of water draining out of the cinder block. Any ideas where this water could be intruding? There are no Water pressure Lunes in the vicinity. My theory is coming down from backyard patio cement floor cracks or is been soak like a sponge from the under water base. It accumulates after heavy (2”+ rain storms) and when I drilled it was four days after last rainfall.

Cinder block or Concrete block (CMU)? Can’t tell much from your picture. What does the exterior face of the block look like. Split face block is notorious for sucking up water like a sponge.

Was this on an inspection? Follow up to that: why are we drilling holes during an inspection.

Cool Darren, I bought the House myself about six months ago. I am continuously inspecting it to improve my earlier inspection findings. I am getting a new exterior fiberglass hermetic door installed right were I detected the water stain. Was intrigued that the wall will sweat small drops in the interior and lots more in the exterior three and four days after a rain event. I have been seriously working in improving the grading around the house, installing 1 foot flashing all around and extending a rubber mat covered with pebble rocks 3 to 4 feet away from the foundation. I even installed a 150 feet French Drain to divert rain water from the backyard to the front sidewalk, is working beautifully, I get a huge stream out. But this wall is braking my brain…!! The weep holes got the water out, I am trying to figure out where is it coming from yet…!

I initially thought those were Cinder Blocks (1945-1950 construction). I don’t get to see much of them, they’re covered with a thick like a cement stucco (>2 inches) type finishing. However, I did some research and because It is so hard to drill through them I will assume they are “cement”. Also the foundation in general is standing strong after 70 years no one before me (previous owners) really care or did anything to divert the rain water away from these foundations. The house was surrounded by bushes and trees and the roots are all over. I terminated those ‘veggies’ 30 feet away from the house…! I figure that if this house is still standing after the ‘roots attacks’ and the continuous water stream all around the foundations, those foundations blocks could be made of some pretty good quality Portland cement from those days.

Post pics of the entire wall from the roof to the foundation and pics of the ground around entire bottom of this wall. Come on, you expect us to just tell you where the water is coming from based on a pic of a hole :smiley:

That block wall is full of cracks and picking up water from its perimeter higher up and all around. The water then finds its way to the lowest point. Unfortunately the only fix may be what Mark, the crazy balding guy on this board, does. Check out his posts. He talks and shows you exactly the reason why your holes are pissin water.

Took a pic right at the Lowest Point of the Foundation Wall. May be your eye can determine if is Cinder or Cement. Is is a pretty wide block (12”)

It needs more than a new door, Looks like the whole area needs major repairs before installing the new door.

Pedro, I keep looking at the slab at the top of the stairs, obviously there are a lot of cracks that could allow for water to get under. The top step appears to be over the slab also, even if the slab is adequately sloped away from the stairs and foundation, that too can be an issue. One wouldn’t think so but it is possible.

Michael/Simon, thanks for the feedback.
Here are some ideas I have started implementing to divert the larger rain fall water volume immediately after it comes down. The French drain is working wonderfully, I get a huge stream of water out to the front and I have worked on improving the grading of the lot around the foundations adding also flashing and a rubber tarp topped with fractured marble white stones. The new slab is coming in a few weeks with a hydraulic Portland cement mortar and will incorporate a drain channel along the foundations. At last, my wife found an affordable 7feet polycarbonate awning ($700) to cover the entrance, it even has a build in gutter. Your comments are welcome…! !

Uploading: F8F6E7C6-89A3-439A-9A26-19A6326AD661.jpeg… Uploading: 63F8D147-F3BB-4B06-8EBE-F95473E8BF4B.jpeg… Uploading: 2D2D47CB-082B-4C99-90F2-E84DEAF31285.jpeg… Uploading: 6F0EA1A3-81E3-4B16-BFF9-C4884E5C1BF2.jpeg… Uploading: 64510C66-BB32-479A-984C-A33BABAD6977.jpeg… Uploading: E93CD9D5-AC3C-4A68-8625-8B036AC60F90.jpeg… Uploading: 0273F393-DD7C-4703-98D9-76E86D789676.jpeg… Uploading: D02AAAE8-D2B7-49A2-A693-27CE26C4C02B.jpeg… Uploading: E64C3051-7A8E-4343-A734-450403DF4989.jpeg… image|388x500

@manderson7 Do you think the efforts above will stop the milk? Please go easy!