Basement water evidence

Robert, really? to do a thorough assessment one needs a moisture meter and hygrometer?

Hmm, that’s strange, in 41 years doing thorough assessments i have never needed nor used either, and neither has Capizzo or Stremersch or a couple others i know who are waterproofing experts, but again i guess i am wrong and Robert n others are right… right? lol

Lansing MI, very nice lady homeowner had several INT system chumps over all wanted a ton of $$$ to install an INT drainage system which would NOT have stopped the water from where it was first entering, through exterior cracks n other ext openings in, and just above her front wall and front porch, MOISTURE METER etc would not have done ssssssssssssssquat to identify her actual problems and only solution to STOP the water, sheesh… photo is of the inside of where her front PORCH is outside

they sure like to toss their shtt in, along people homes n walls instead of, i dunno, hauling it away

yeah there were also EXT cracks in wall and openings above porch around door

went to LANSING from SCS, back then cost was $3,300, would not do it again for that amount VERSUS what the INT scumbags wanted to divert the water on the inside one wanted $8,500 for a partial INT system, all others were $12,000 and up and that was many years ago

As an excavator, I concur. To excavate soil you do not need a moisture meter.

Foundation experts extrapolate readings for several reasons. To limit liability and professional exposure…

As to home inspector. I do not concur. Having been expert of fact in civil court, the predominance of readings are used to convey a clear pattern.

Correct, you need to test and ensure the water is wet! Then report your findings :smiley:

1 Like

I use small gold fish, myself… :rofl: :joy:

3 Likes

compact? did it fit in your home inspector tool belt?

Carried it around in my mouth when I needed it. Otherwise, a jar with hole in the top. :joy:

2 Likes

OMG Larry!!! You’re scaring me again! :scream_cat:

Man, Simon, you scare easily. :grin:

After looking at all these horrible basement pics I feel blessed I’m in South Florida & do not have to inspect & deal with this stuff.
Only twice in my career some dope tried to go “down” under the slab & guess what I found… … … … … … .

Well Mark, you better get your moisture meter to protect you butt. As a foundation export you need to extrapolate. LOL
Better get all those readings before you go to court.

Robert, you said to Mike, to do a thorough assessment he needs a moisture meter n hygrometer.

That’s crap.

Mark,

I got seepage from one wall in my home, in the basement, near a register. Picture here:

I also gett seepage from a DWV Pipe near it’s cleanout. Picture here:

I do see efflorescence and here are some pictures of where the water was present:

I had two contractors come out and give me an estimate: Estimate one: 1) Install outside drain, 148 LF, $44,458, at footer. 2) Interior drain, 148 LF, $10,360, and 3) Multistep, Interior and Exterior (drain not at footer but halfway from footer to grade), $24,660 and this is what they recommended.
Estimate two: Interior drain for $5,900 (80 LF, not the whole perimeter of the basement,only for the water intrusion areas.
Thanks all,
Mike

Mike that floor tile sure looks like VAT too me. How old is that place?
I am sure Mark will give you some good advice on your water intrusion.

Yes, it may be VAT Tile and built in the 1950’s.

My thoughts exactly as well when I saw those pics. Might want have the material tested and be sure to wear masks if working on the floor, also, many of the adhesives that they glued the tiles down with contained asbestos.

As for the water damage the OP is referring to, call what you see and you’ve done your job, I would also be on the lookout for “any organic substances consistent with mold” and report those findings as well.

1 Like

The only thing that is carp is you character. Lol. Keep on excavating. Inform the members when you are a licensed foundation speacest. I might pay attention then. Might being the verb.

I am sure it is ACM or VAT, because I recognized the pattern. My Father used to do a lot of Store Building Malls in the 60’s and I was there to help him install those tiles with the old black cut-back adhesives. You could put down that adhesive at night and install the tile the next morning when you could walk on it. Snap your lines and go. Only way to know though, is to have it tested.

those look like 9"asphalt tile from ohio

1 Like

They are Jim, I believe looking at the 4" column there.

1 Like