Breaker Panel Mounted on Ceiling

This should probably go in the WTF thread, but I feel it almost needs its own.

I dropped off a radon monitor at this house today. I’ll be doing the inspection at the end of the week.

I have no idea if there is a code against this, but it sure seems like not a very good idea, lol.

7 Likes

Working space and height to main breaker… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

6 Likes

by the looks of that basement it prolly helps keep it from getting wet…but that could not have been easy on the sparkys back and neck accomplishing that beautiful thing,

2 Likes

The floor was damp, but considering its been raining here for 40 days and 40 nights, I was surprised there wasn’t standing water. This is a picture looking out the driveway of that home. The river is nearby and has flooded the banks. A few houses in the area were sandbagged.

3 Likes

6 feet 7 inches

All switches and circuit breakers must be installed so the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, isn’t more than 6 feet 7 inches above the floor or working platform.

5 Likes

This one might actually be pretty close to that. I’ll have to measure. I could stand up in the basement, but with very little head room and I’m about 6 even or 6-1" maybe.

1 Like

I had one a few years ago that i needed a ladder to get to the panel and I’m 6-1

1 Like

That’s one way to keep the kids from messin’ with it!!

2 Likes

Ya know… it was not uncommon in “olden days” in MN basements, that the panel was mounted on nothing more than a section of plywood (not much larger than the panel), hanging down and nailed from a joist in the open area of the basement. I can see where a homeowner or even a Sparky simply “swung” the panel to a horizontal position and nailed it in place for more clearance.
I also find it interesting that there is metal conduit to the exterior.
This is not common at all in MN.
Lots to see in that basement!

2 Likes

Not just the basement I’m afraid. It’s a smaller story and a half 1886 build with detached 2 car. At least it’s unoccupied though.

1 Like

Sweet! My typical ‘bread & butter’!
Curious if the attic hatch will allow you to get your head through for a peek? (8" x 10").

1 Like

there you go Jeff trying to bring common sense to mayhem…Im guessing they just had problems with people licking the electrical panels there and just decided to hang em up hi…

1 Like

Yes, lol. It is a very small hatch. I saw it upstairs when I made my rounds to check if all the windows were closed. I should be able to get my arm up and get some pics at the very least.

1 Like

Directly prohibited by the NEC.

240.33 Vertical Position.
Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be mounted in a vertical position. Circuit breaker enclosures shall be permitted to be installed horizontally where the circuit breaker is installed in accordance with 240.81.
Listed busway plug-in units shall be permitted to be mounted in orientations corresponding to the busway mounting position.

7 Likes

Thank you Robert! I was hoping you would chime in with a code reference.

So my next question is, do you think it would be prudent to skip taking off the cover (as a home inspector) in this case? My initial thought is to not attempt it and let the client know this “must” be corrected by a qualified electrical contractor as a first priority. I mean there might be some issues inside, but how severe is the issue with this mounting, in your opinion?

Does it? Really? Bet it met Code when it was installed. That panel looks to be at least 40-50 years old! Can you say… “Grandfathered in”??

Other than the orientation and lack of a Legend, I see nothing wrong with it in the photo(s).

Poor Breaker Clearance.
Cables hanging from the ceiling.
Circuit cable supporting circuit cable.
Panel resting on forced air system metal duct work.
Is the panel bonded?

I don’t know. That’s why I’m asking the electrician in the group.

My initial thought is that, yes, this is a severe enough condition that it needs to be corrected. The electrician said it is against code. I already know there are a handful of other electrical issues just from my short visit today. I don’t have pictures yet to share (inspection is at the end of the week) but my guess is that this was not installed this way by a (licensed) electrician.

1 Like

" In the 1975 NEC , Section 240.33 provided text dealing with the orientation of panelboard and switchboard enclosures.”

More:

https://www.ecmag.com/magazine/articles/article-detail/codes-standards-panelboard-orientation

2 Likes

I don’t know yet. This was just during a radon drop. Inspection is later this week.

1 Like