Champlain Towers South 2018 report

Here’s the 2018 structural report on the failed Champlain South Towers. A close read will reveal a tool on page 4 that I’m sure most of you do not carry. The 2018 Report

8 Likes

golfs are to hard to peel & eat
my sectional or painter pole has worked for years sounding flooring-stucco/eifs/acmv walls-testing smoke alarms-emergency lighting & keeps the pests at more than arms length
ymmv

3 Likes

I like how they phrased that disclaimer.

1 Like

The column photo is frightening. Any time a rebar cage is exposed like that is cause for great concern. I think when all is said in done, this is going to be all about the columns.

3 Likes

report, ‘water infiltration through sliding glass doors etc’, well they could have installed an interior drainage system… inside, pftt! lol Yeah maybe it keeps water off the floor but what about the deterioration that can occur when diphstts install these knothead systems

1 Like

Tell it like it is! If the building super or the listing agent or the bank won’t cooperate they don’t get honorable mention. Their time IS NOT more valuable than mine.

2 Likes

If you watch the video of the collapse, you can see clearly that it started collapsing in the middle and bottom floors, somewhat indicating failure of the supports meaning columns.
Failed waterproofing of the swimming pool membrane is what they said might have deteriorated the reinforcement.

Agreed, especially when situated on a beach where a constant supply of salty corrosive air is present.

1 Like

Those garage deck pictures didn’t look too healthy either.

For some reason I imagined a 136 unit twelve story building to have a much longer inspection report than 9 pages…

2 Likes

Structural only. No electrical, no plumbing, no elevator. Despite the reports brevity nothing was done due to the high cost. Condo associations are worthless; for those repairs they would have to use a “special assessment.” I’m sure that went over like a lead balloon.

1 Like

" The waterproofing below the deck and entrance drive was failing, causing major structural damage… failure to replace the waterproofing will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially… the previous epoxy injection repairs were INEFFECTIVE in properly repairing the existing cracked and spalled concrete slabs…"

the INT system scammers often claim, epoxy injection make basement walls stronger" yeah sure okay Buckwheat
imagesBUCK

some disintegrated EXTERIOR blocks, so just allow more blocks n M joints to deteriorate and instead, install an interior drainage system huh? lol

then the wall bowed in n more cracks occurred

2 Likes

Must be true, I heard it on youtube :smiley:.

2 Likes

ha Marcel!! How you feeling these days Mr C ?

1 Like

And I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of condos in that surrounding area don’t go up for sale really soon.

3 Likes

Just fine Mark and hope all is well with you. And don’t forget to stay above the grass while you are still breathing. LOL

1 Like

Same here, thought a structural report on a building that large would be a lot of pages long.

1 Like

The engineering firm estimated more than $9M in major repairs…

1 Like

I agree, but do we know the predetermined scope of the inspection?

1 Like

What tool. I do not even see images of accurate readings?

As well, for a report I conducted for water intrusion and possible structural failure, I had the sliding door removed to view the walkout balcony interior floor interestion. Missing isolation joint, capillary break, no door sill for the sliding door threshold, pooly sloped landing, no flashing, full glass guardrails boxed in snow melt.