CMI and who enforces it?

As are the rest of us!

BTW…

Alledgedly…

InterNACHI (according to Nick) has no connection to CMI whatsoever, Robert. They are seperate beasts.

So, where does that leave your statements?..

Perhaps your “Freudian Slip” says it all…

:twisted:

Not quite the case.

For instance, in a state that licenses home inspectors, IAC2 membership has requirements, one of which is existing membership in InterNACHI which also has requirements, one of which is to abide by the laws of your state, which has licensing requirements.

In other words, IAC2’s requirements are in addition to and on top of InterNACHI’s which are in turn, in addition to and on top of your state’s requirements.

Yes a slip Jreffrey.
I am so sick I should be making more errors.
Be what it may Jeffrey.
I have a fairly good idea what is going on behind the scenes.

If I am not mistaken I asked if INACHI members would they like to police the net and aid Nick or whom ever is behind the designation.
Too help put more teeth behind the LOGO and designation.
No takers of course from what I recall. Only the same old rhetoric.
Typical

So if you’re licensed in your State, a member of INachi and pass One 8 hour cousre you get your IAC2 logo and listed on their site, which I just did in about 5 seconds, by checking 3 boxes. I have taken All of the courses though it’s been a while, since IL does not license individuals to perform mold testing.

That is because Illinois does not recommend testing ,only remediation.

I know, neither do I. :slight_smile:

Correct. But there is one for mold, one for radon, and one for both (two additional courses).

Client called today wanting a guy to test because it will prove she needs remediation as the contract window is not closed yet.

So did you send them to the Illinois site where they recommend not testing?

Inspectors using fake qualifications would probably end up in court as a result of their ‘lack of moral fiber’. Eventually the problem will solve itself but in the mean time, some consumers will suffer with poor home inspections and qualified inspectors will loose out on some business.

In a lawsuit, the act of fraud usually carries unlimited punitive damages in addition to the actual damages.

This is to say that if the actual damages were $500 for a bad water heater that was not identified … and the plaintiff could prove fraud … he could sue for $10,000,500.00, instead of being limited to his actual damages.

The plaintiff’s lawyer will always seek the grounds to add fraud to the suit for these reasons. Greed, in particular. You see, the client suing for damages (limited to the cost of a water heater or other item) would have to pay his lawyer in advance and is likely not to sue … but in the case of fraud with unlimited punitive damages, the lawyer would likely take the client’s case against the inspector on a contingency basis with no up-front payment from the client.

One way for him to add unlimited punitive damages to his lawsuit is to find “Certified Master Inspector” claims in the inspector’s marketing materials and, through the use of the discovery process, find that the inspector cannot prove his legitimate entitlement (verifiable inspections, hours of training, years in business, etc, etc) to that designation. While he only needed to provide an affadavit to the MICB regarding his inspections and education, the plaintiff’s lawyer will request copies of reports, paid invoices and transcripts.

Let’s face it … there are NACHI members who call themselves “certified inspectors” when all that is actually “certified” is their membership, and nothing more. Whatever you decide to call yourself, it is your client that you must answer to. In the end, each and every inspector is individually accountable to his client. Ultimately, it is the client who will “enforce” the rules in the cases where a violator of the rules acts unfaithfully with the public.

There will always be clowns wanting to see INACHI or CMI take action against their competitors or take other measures to help thin out the herd … but it is the consumer who ultimately makes that choice. There are, indeed, “bad apples” in every profession and industry (see post #14 in ActiveRain)](http://activerain.com/blogsview/1991973/how-did-real-estate-agents-get-such-a-bad-reputation-), but then — as the fellow says in his post — sometimes complaints are motivated by nothing more than “jealousy”.

If an inspector is going to lie in his affidavit when he applies for the CMI designation, he is going to lie and is probably going to use a designation that he is untitled to. CEOs get fired five years after they are hired for lying about the PhD in their resumes, too. Politicians are recalled for lies they told to get elected. Real estate salesmen lie to sell houses.

But when you lie in your marketing material … and your client hires you based on a lie and suffers damages … he has the right to request and be awarded unlimited punitive damages by the court. The CEO with the lies in his resume simply loses his job but the lying inspector can lose much, much more than that.

When I joined ASHI years ago and guys thought I was newby, one offered to “loan” me the inspections I needed to qualify for the full membership status and logo. He said that it was a common practice. Liars can be found in every area of our business.

Integrity and honesty is not in everyone’s business plan. The liars, however (when caught) suffer a terrible end. Years later when they are less desperate and working more legitimately and honestly (if they stayed in business or not) … their fraudulent activities are still out there … waiting to be discovered.

And very few E&O policies cover an inspector for fraud.

So your saying that lying about being a CMI is ok, let the consumer sort it out? The CMI “board” should do nothing? Because if we turn them it, its about “thinning” the herd as you call it.

I am saying what I said.

Russell,
Speaking of “the Board”…
Why is it you never have these conversations with any of the CMI Board Members, or their E.D. (Executive Director) John McKenna??? Why is it he only shows up when he feels Nick needs support, and sticks his nose where the sun don’t shine???
Seems to me that all CMI’s should DEMAND that their leadership step-up and answer Russell’s accusations.
Oh, yeah… if CMI consist’s of non-Nachi members also… and this thread is the CMI “official” thread… where are all the ASHI and NAHI and Other members posting??? HUH???

Yea, that’s what I thought.

They must have a secret message board. Using “CMI” for search term on google, their site, Certified Master Inspector, doesn’t show on the first 15 pages.

I will never doubt you again (sorry for ever doubting you), I googled CMI and stopped at page 23. Nothing about Certified Master Inspector. For someone who has the trademark on “CMI” something wrong is happening here.

You aren’t the only one who has reported this. It is common practice at diploma mill ASHI.

Gave her the service magic link as those are all the cheapest workers money can buy.

Figure all the newbies and $199 Inspectors go there to bid their low priced desperate call for business ,so the rest of the contractors should be just as cheap thanks to the bidding war mentality of that site.

It is a common practice. What they try to market as a “credential” is little more than a practice of deceit and immorality.

:D:D