Defect or not?

What say you?

Well to start off we do not allow mini breakers in Chicago but you are asking about the recess.
Not enough to to be a deal breaker though others may think different.
We doing your whole report today or what John?

Yes, same as a missing twist out.

OK Chris ,explain twist out.
Sounds like a dance or a drink.:slight_smile:

LOL. :slight_smile: I have my own idea on these things of course, I just like to get feed back on things I sometimes consider borderline. The reality is I was wondering if there was spec on how big the opening can be.

http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/23/2356_100.jpg

Square DBreaker Filler Plate For Twist Out Panel Board

May have something in a doc around here but I go by if you can stick your fingers in at something myself and as long as it is tight.
Hmmmmm(nah will not go there):slight_smile:

Yes it’s a defect, but the issue is that the enclosure is likely recessed too deeply.

OK ,just say a blank next time will you.lol

John INACHI TV HAS A GREAT ELECTRICAL CHAPTER AND IS GOOD FOR 9 DOLLARS A MONTH.

It’s not blank until it’s twisted out. :mrgreen:

Guess I better not even think of asking you about knockouts but Jeff may be right that the panel should not be recessed however I want documentation on this subject.
I can see where the breaker at bottom might be stopped from tripping as an issue however if the handle is rubbing on the (twist out).:cool: .

If Jeff is correct than according to the NEC it’s not code compliant. You would be allowed up to 1/4" of setback for the cabinet’s (panel) edge from a non-combustible surface such as drywall. Typically the cover has some sort of spring mechanism to compensate for some setback. The NEC defines the panel enclosure as a cabinet.

They look more then !/4 inch resisted to me.

There’s no question the reason is the cabinet is set too deep in the wall which has caused this issue. Unfortunately, this panel cover does not have the spring loaded adjustment to compensate. I am definitely going to mention the reason and the potential safety hazard it in the report.

I don’t have a problem with it assuming there is an outer cover to prevent dust and insect entry. The inner cover is performing its job of preventing contact with live electrical parts.

The breaker has an internal trip, and will open whether the handle moves or not.

The point, as I said in my first post, is that the panel is recessed to deeply. It’s supposed to be a flush-mounted box.

I understand, but what’s the hazard in this case? Why suggest correction if there is no hazard?

Since the cover is not fully closing the panel, if an arc were created by a fault hot molten metal could exit the box and ignite nearby materials.

With the outer cover closed?