Dell axim 51v???

Originally Posted By: dholland1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is anyone using this item for inspections?

I heard some of the dell pda's screens were horrible in direct sunlight and was wondering if anyone was having that problem.

I'm looking to buy one of these in the next day or so but I thought I would seek forum wisdom first.

thanks in advance,
/donny
www.inspectorholland.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Donny what are you using now? Have you got your inspection technique down pat? What advantage will the PDA give you?

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: Jeff Knight

Donny,

My recommendation would be the HP iPaq 4705 with the bigger 4 inch diagonal screen and the higher resolution (480x640). It also reads perfect in the sunlight and has a 624mHz processor. It is the Rolls Royce of PDAs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Handhelds/2001-3127_7-0.html?tag=ont.hh

Same resolution on each PDA (480x640}.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: dholland1

Quote:
Donny what are you using now? Have you got your inspection technique down pat? What advantage will the PDA give you?

I am a very methodical person and I like to have all my ducks in a row.

I originally planned on using my treo 650 as a checkoff point for my inspections and then dumping to my laptop to create and finalize my reports. Unfortunately, 3d doesn't work with "palm" os and I left without my efficiency plan.

Because I want to keep my initial cost down and because I have so much expensive equipment allready I wanted to stick with the PDA vs getting a tablet. I have a top-of-the-line laptop I have been using ( I am a pc repair/geek/webby guy) and I didn't want to go buy a whole nother laptop just for inspections. Which brings me back to the PDA

I do like the HP 4705 but at a 430 bucks (cheapest I could find) Its hundred bucks more than the dell. So I think I can live with .3 less screen in the dell 51v as long as I can verify its working well in daylight.

thoughts,
/donny

Donny why can’t you use the laptop you currently own? I set my laptop in th kitchen of the house inspected and input all of the data there.

Originally Posted By: msylvester

Donny,

I too want to use my Dell for inspections but have not heard much response on using the laptop verses the pda. I want to know if it speeds up the inspection by very much.

Any One???

Mark I believe I would cut 30 minutes off my inspection time by using a PDA. I will probably get one after the new year.

Originally Posted By: msylvester

Brian,

That’s what I think too. I like doing my reports on site but sometimes it adds too much time. I have the pda just need the software my reporting system does not have a pda function so I need to switch reporting software. Any suggestions on which is the best and cost effective.

Thanks

I only have experience with Inspectvue. I have 2 good friends both using Axim’s to do their reports. Both are reporting good results. Of course they each used laptops for about a year before making the switch. It takes a while to dial your software in, then time to dial in your hardware. I am ready, it’s just I have heard after the new year the next generation of PDA’s will be coming out. I have waited this long a little longer won’t hurt me.

Originally Posted By: whandley

Look at the Fujitsu 3400/3500 and my personal favorite 4100 Stylist. Full windows XP, operates all windows based software applications. EBay has some great deals from $400-$1000 depending on model and added equipment. They really are true field data collection devices. Some of the FEMA trainers use the Panasonic Tough Book, (Big Bucks!)… icon_idea.gif

Originally Posted By: bchester

I’ve used Palm-Tech and my Axim X3? for a couple hundred or so reports and daylight viewing has not been a problem for me until my screen cover gets scratched up. I found the Dell covers didn’t last very long and were expensive. I now use wide clear packing tape that I carefully lay over the screen (to avoid bubbles) and trim around the edges. I can replace this screen cover in about three minutes. I also learned that a little dust on the cover and the plastic tip of the stylus don’t go well together.

Some more info on this. I started using the Axim while I was still dialing in my program. I quickly learned you can’t see very much on a PDA screen and you really need to be familiar with the hidden areas or you’ll use a lot of time scrolling. My solution was to print some sheets to guide me instead of scrolling. All I did on the PDA in enter info. This was a real pain because I was sometimes carrying these sheets and the PDA in the same hand. It didn’t take long and I created what (for me) works very well and really protects my PDA. icon_idea.gif I attached a Rhino Skin near the bottom edge of a clip board for the PDA and cut my sheets to seven inches long to fit at the top.

I’ve dropped this setup hard enough to break the corner off the clip board. No problem, just bend the Rhino cover until it will close and keep going.

I’ve never used a laptop on site so I can’t make the laptop vs PDA comparison. I can say I usually stop wherever the condition is and select my note. I take my PDA in nearly every attic, some crawl spaces and an occasional roof.

Hope this helps,
Bill