Designer panel

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does a stuccoed electric panel cover create any specific safety or maintenance concerns? I’ve never run into this, which is kind of surprising since panels are so ugly.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/ESEstuccoed1.jpg

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

I could find no reference to it in the NEC or the IRC. The only problems that I personaly would have would be (1) that fact that it blends in with the wall would make it difficult to locate in an emergency, say a fire at night. (2) The stucco could possibily hold moisture that would rust out the cabinet.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I don’t see it as being any different from painting the cover.

The key is keeping contamination out of the box. Dosen't say much about decorating the cover itself.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks. I don’t get any painted covers either.

When they are located inside and people want to hide them, they hang a picture or some sort of wall hanging over it. It sometimes makes it fun to find it, remove the Monet or Degas worth millions of dollars, and inspect it. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jpope

The stucco finish is pretty common in my area. To the best of my knowledge, it doesn’t create any immediate problem, however, I have run across a couple of them that were stucco covered on the inside as well. Obviously, this is a problem. icon_eek.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jremas

as long as it is easily accessible without special tools then should be OK. If the screws are gooped or it is stucco’d shut then it is a problem.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: dvalley

I run into these panel covers in condo units quite a bit. Owners consider these to be ugly and a nuisance. They go out and purchase that cheap popcorn crap at their local hardware store and spray it on. To each his own.

I usually get the sellers or listing realtors permision to score the outside of the panel cover in order to gain access. There are usually no seams around the edges.

I had one seller tell me that they do not want their cover disturbed in any way. OK, that’s fine… I noted on my report that I had no access and recommend an electrician evaluate interior SE panel. In the long run, the buyer requested that the seller have this done before closing. Their loss. They should have let me do what I was hired to do. icon_wink.gif

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Do not know of any code preventing a panel cover from being painted or even stuccoed… icon_lol.gif but there should be a code for PINK ones icon_lol.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

How to open a panel cover that has been painted and even stuccoed:

Take a new razor knife and carefully slice around the edges of the panel cover.

Allow the knife to be pointed inwards towards the panel as you cut the paint or other substance from the panel and the wall.

Do the same to the panel screws carefully....going to fast and oops you just put a nice cut in the wall. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Sometimes taking a screwdriver and putting it on the screw slots, then rapping it with your hand or a electrician's hammer (aka Klien's) will free up the paint in the slot of the screw and allow you to unscrew it.

Once all screws are out, if the panel cover is still stuck on the wall, carefully insert the edge of a screwdriver in one corner and pry the cover off. If you properly cut the edges with a knife, you won't take half of the wall paint off when you remove the cover.

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Dennis, please don’t hate me for posting this, but my employees do not attempt to remove panel covers that are grossly painted to the wall. We discuss the situation with our Clients and their Realtors and leave it up to them to resolve the situation. Unfortunately, there’s some case law in my county, and some general liability insurance concerns, indicating that if I cause damage, I’m liable for it. Causing damage is far different from something failing under testing. Also, sometimes the result of my inspection causes the buyer to cancel the purchase, which means the seller now has damage to the panel cover, wall, beautiful paint or stucco job, that he thinks he has to repair to make the place presentable to the next possible buyer. Never mind that such isn’t the case. . . . This is another example of managing your Client’s expectations. We are upfront and forthright with the situation, discussing all the options, and we’ve never had any problems. Remember that the house is not mine to do damage to, nor does my Client or his Realtor have the legal right to authorize damage. Remember that this is my company in San Diego County. Mileage in your county in California or your State may vary. Check with your attorney and your insurance company.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russ…

Don't hate ya man...now give me a bud lite..oops wait I don't drink.....make that a shirley temple ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I just posted that cuz Dave had one....just some info. Wasn't telling anyone to "do it". I understand the liability issue there. I have no choice when it comes down to removing a cover. After all they callled me to check out the panel in the first place so when I run across one of these types of covers I look at the customer and then I say...ok I am going to be careful in removing this cover but there migt be some pain damage as I do...if you are ok with that then here I go. Otherwise, you will have to remove it I have yet to have a customer say to me....naw it's ok...I will open it up. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) I think they think... am I gonna get shocked ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--