Direct Vent Fireplace Gas Shut Off

Inspected a natural gas direct vent fireplace. Looks like a flat screen TV and has a remote control, electronic ignition.
Anyway my Newbie question is, the gas shutoff was under the floor in the crawl space. Is it supposed to have accessible gas shutoff in the room? Or does the electronic igniter considered a shutoff?

1 Like

Gas shut off in the same room, is how I’ve always remembered it.

And welcome to our forum Philip!..where there are no stupid questions…Enjoy and good th have you aboard! :smile:

2018 IFGC says:

409.1 General. Piping systems shall be provided with shutoff
valves in accordance with this section.
409.1.1 Valve approval. Shutoff valves shall be of an
approved type; shall be constructed of materials compatible
with the piping; and shall comply with the standard
that is applicable for the pressure and application, in
accordance with Table 409.1.1.
409.1.2 Prohibited locations. Shutoff valves shall be prohibited
in concealed locations and furnace plenums.
409.1.3 Access to shutoff valves. Shutoff valves shall be
located in places so as to provide access for operation and
shall be installed so as to be protected from damage

I would consider the crawl space a prohibited location. Usually the valve for each appliance is in the same room. I did just do a home with a wall mount ventless heater in the basement and the valve was in the utility room that shared the same wall. It was readily accessible and protected so it was OK.

The crawl space is an acceptable location for a fireplace gas cock. It is usually installed just before the riser to the appliance. No problem here.

Some gas fireplaces do not have provisions for a valve inside of the unit. Imagine replacing a fireplace with the valve inside of the unit. Now you need to shut the gas off to the entire home for replacement.

This doesn’t fall under the same code as fuel appliance connectors where there is a specific location and length of connector.

1 Like

One won’t get away with that location around here. The AHJ would not allow it.

Must be location differences.

Could be maybe an valve in the wall next to the unit with access panel. That would look pretty sharp.

Reading on along here:

409.5.2 Vented decorative appliances and room heaters.
Shutoff valves for vented decorative appliances, room
heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented
fireplaces shall be permitted to be installed in an area
remote from the appliances where such valves are provided
with ready access. Such valves shall be permanently
identified and shall not serve another appliance. The piping
from the shutoff valve to within 6 feet (1829 mm) of
the appliance shall be designed, sized and installed in
accordance with Sections 401 through 408.

Sorta depends on what you consider “ready access.”

Michigan Residential Code

" G2420.5.1 (409.5.1) Located within same room

The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the [appliance](Chapter 2: Definitions, Michigan Residential Code 2015 | UpCodes). The shutoff valve shall be within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance , and shall be installed upstream of the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access. Appliance shutoff valves located in the firebox of a fireplace shall be installed in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions."

1 Like

Robert is right on the money! If he did plumbing in his past life I suspect he was one that did it right!!

1 Like

Philip,
It would help to know the name of the manufacturer and model number of the unit.

1 Like

This is correct as not all manufactured units have provisions for a valve installation inside of the unit. The hang up here is a crawl space ready access. Is the crawl space the only access? Apparently the AHJ agreed when this home was constructed.

409.5.2 Vented decorative appliances and room heaters

Shutoff valves for vented decorative appliances, room heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented fireplaces shall be permitted to be installed in an area remote from the appliances where such valves are provided with ready access . Such valves shall be permanently identified and shall serve no other appliance . The piping from the shutoff valve to within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance shall be designed, sized and installed in accordance with Sections 401 through [408](Chapter 4: Gas Piping Installations, 2014 FBC - Fuel Gas, 5th edition | UpCodes

[M] READY ACCESS. That which enables a fixture, appliance or equipment to be directly reached without requiring the removal or movement of any panel, door or similar obstruction and without the use of a portable ladder, step stool or similar device.

2 Likes

G2420.5.2 (409.5.2) Vented decorative appliances and room heaters

Shutoff valves for vented decorative appliances , room heaters and decorative appliances for installation in vented fireplaces shall be permitted to be installed in an area remote from the appliances where such valves are provided with ready access. Such valves shall be permanently identified and shall not serve another appliance . The piping from the shutoff valve to within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the appliance shall be designed, sized and installed in accordance with Sections 02412 through 02419.

Same as IRC and IFGC, doesn’t have to be in same room but has to be readily accessible.

In my opinion, a crawl space is not quite readily accessible. Common sense should prevail here and have it accessible within the same room or under the unit.
I would look to the model manufacturers instructions as to what they recommend.

2 Likes

Bob, I didn’t think the valve being in the crawlspace had “ready access” is all.

Just food for thought. A main water shut off valve should be readily accesable agree? If you have an emergency you had better get to that sucker fast. Where I live the meter boxes are locked and only the city has a key so that rules out turning the water off at the meter. Yes you can fiddle with the meter box lock with a screwdriver but crap the water is now coming out of the front door! Guess where the main water shut off is on most of the homes I inspect that have crawlspace? Yup it’s in the crawlspace. A greater power than us (AHJ) has approved its location for main water shut off valves. I wonder which valve is more critical to get too in a hurry, water or fireplace gas cock?

2 Likes

My thought, too, Martin. :smile:

1 Like

Larry you guys have your heart in the right place it’s just sometimes the home dictates locations of equipment. Imaging the plumber that has to come in and find a balance of code compliance and quality of work. Believe me it’s a challenge and a difficult task sometime requireing meetings with builders and plumbing inspectors. Much easier arm chair quarterbacking from where we sit.

1 Like

Thanks, Martin. And, it is easier to arm chair quarterback from far away, sometimes.

1 Like

This is what we see for all fireplaces in my area. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be a simple shut off option that could be in the floor or wall right near the unit. This would be my recommendation as I too don’t believe that the crawlspace is readily accessible.

1 Like

606.2 Location of Shutoff Valves

Shutoff valves shall be installed in the following locations:

1. On the fixture supply to each plumbing fixture other than bathtubs and showers in one- and two-family residential occupancies , and other than in individual sleeping units that are provided with unit shutoff valves in hotels, motels, boarding houses and similar occupancies .
  2. On the water supply pipe to each sillcock.
  3. On the water supply pipe to each appliance or mechanical equipment.

Most of the homes here are slabs and crawls. I have yet to see a valve on a silcock. I’ve seen them in basements in Chicago but the majority of states follow the IPC. Balance of code compliance and not wanting an ugly access door for every wall in the house where a silcock is located.