Do I really need a computer?

Originally Posted By: Brad Rebar
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am researching the home inspection business and am thinking about taking a class presented by AHIT in September. I see that they sell software for reports. The cost of computer, software,etc

is quite expensive. Can I use a written report or is this considered

unfashionable and old school?

Brad "the cheap old guy" Rebar

Originally Posted By: jbehling

IMHO if you are just sarting out, save your money and go with written reports for a while. When you are comfortable with your inspection #'s and with the inspection process in general, then you should upgrade to a software reporting system.

My 2 cents. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Hi Brad,

I would say that it depends on your target market. If you are in a metropolitan area you may find that most, if not all, of your competitors are using computers to generate reports. They most likely will insert digital pictures into the report, have a web site, the whole 9 yards.

If you are in a rural area it may be the case that few of the inspectors are using computers and that the clients may not expect it.

I would get a feel for what your competition is doing and then go from there.

For me, a computer was a must have. I do a lot of things with my website. My clients can sign their agreement online, they can pay online and they can download their report online.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Do I really need a computer?

Only if you want to review replies to your question. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Brad,

I agree that it depends on your area. My area realtors prefer getting the (written) report at the inspection. That way they save time waiting for the report, haveing to schedule another meeting with their clients to review and write repair amendments, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick