Does Anyone Know What This is Called?

Does Anyone Know What This is Called?.. Beside wrong! I just did an inspection and came across this oddity. I texted an electrician friend but he has never seen one of these. I want to know for my own education. I called it deficient in my report.

Thanks,
Joe

Looks like an ungrounded quad receptacle.

Thanks Dave, is that the “technical term” for it? Do you know about how long ago they were put into use? The thing I find odd is that it is it does have four plugs but it seems that you could only use two at a time so it seems pointless to me!

WOW!
Do you call everything you don’t know what it is as deficient or wrong?

Go change your Depends JJ ! :D:cool:

Wow! Do you try and troll everyone that asks questions to better themselves??

I called it wrong not because I didn’t know what it is. I called it wrong because it is in a bathroom and not grounded and obviously not GFCI! I was asking what it is so if I can better describe it if I ever see it again and wanted to learn from other inspectors who want to help newer inspectors.

I guess that’s just your way of helping inspectors out.

Wow! Do you try and troll everyone that asks questions to better themselves??

I called it wrong not because I didn’t know what it is. I called it wrong because it is in a bathroom, not grounded and obviously not GFCI! I was asking what it is so if I can better describe it if I ever see it again and wanted to learn from other inspectors who want to help newer inspectors.

I guess that’s just your way of helping inspectors out.

We’re here to help, but in JJ’s defense your OP didn’t mention any of this.

In answer to your question it’s just an old, probably obsolete type of receptacle. It probably didn’t require GFCI protection or grounding when it was installed.

Antiquated without a separate equipment ground would be a more appropriate description than “wrong”. In a few years, new inspectors will be making similar statements about receptacles with USB charging ports.

Old two prong receptacles can be GFCI protected, so lack of GFCI protection would not be “obvious” by a mere glance at the device. If the circuit is GFCI protected by a breaker or upstream receptacle, then this receptacle will be GFCI protected too. It doesn’t need an equipment ground to be GFCI protected.

The way lamp cords were made back then four of them would fit just fine.

Why? Because the OP is too damned lazy to do a 30 second search on his own? Lazy is as lazy does!!

Really doesn’t help when someone calls something wrong without the knowledge that appeared to be lacking in the OP. Came off as I don’t know what this is but it is wrong without any qualifiers.

Exactly!

Nice resource, thanks JJ :lol:

Well yes let’s call the OP lazy because let’s just ASSume he didn’t try a google search or even an image search! Still a Troll.

The conversation could have been less Troll like had you said hey how about looking at this website. Did you know there is a site called museum of plugs and sockets! No instead I’ll just be an unwelcoming grouchy person!

What I was looking for was some information and that is all. I thank you for the website!

I had searched myself. You don’t know a dam thing about me. But I guess you are some big shot forum poster and I should sit back and take your crappy attitude. Sorry not going to do that. But hey good on you that you have 29,000 plus posts on the forums.

To everyone else that gave some useful input thank you! Next time I will be a little more specific about my questions and give background information in a clear manner.

Who cares what the knowledge was… The only question was do you know what this is? that was it. Yes maybe I should have left off the part about me calling it out to not confuse anyone. I simply wanted to know what the outlet was called. But thanks.

Good point Dave. I guess I’ve only ever seen the lamp cords of today! Thanks for your help.

1xjndd.jpg

Please STOP posting selfies. It is very unprofessional!