Doorbell transformer double tapped

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve seen several panels where the only defect was an improperly double tapped 15 or 20 amp breaker rated for only one wire. The second wire was from a doorbell transformer mounted correctly outside the box. Should I write it up or just ignore it. thanks

Originally Posted By: eporter

It is very common for the doorbell transformer to be double-tapped on a 15 amp breaker. Any electrician would tell you that it is perfectly acceptable. I don’t write it up.

------------------------------------------------

“Inspecting this home like I’m buying it myself.”

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: rmoore

We seem to have two threads going on here on the same subject so I’m going to copy my post from the other thread.

Quote:
One of the main reasons we write up double-taps is because of the possibility of a poor connection of one or both of the conductors at a lug that is only designed for one, and the subsequent arcing. Perhaps a doorbell transformer only draws power intermittently and isn't likely to cause a fire hazard but what if the poor connection created is at the original conductor and circuit?

Write it up...unless of course it's a Square-D or Cutler-Hammer (CH or CHP) breaker identified for two conductors. Code if you need it is NEC 110.14(A)..."Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals used to connect aluminum shall be so identified."

Ed...I have to disagree and I believe "any electrician" is wrong. A double-tap is a double-tap if the terminal isn't designed for it and I think we have to call it. If Sparky decides not to do anything that's up to him, not us.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

As a code inspector I would write up a doorbell transformer double lugged onto a breaker. I doubt there is any breaker listed for a solid 12/14 and a stranded 16. If they pigtail this out and wirenut the doorbell transformer to the branch circuit conductor it would be OK to me.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Greg Fretwell wrote:
As a code inspector I would write up a doorbell transformer double lugged onto a breaker. I doubt there is any breaker listed for a solid 12/14 and a stranded 16. If they pigtail this out and wirenut the doorbell transformer to the branch circuit conductor it would be OK to me.

Thanks for the info Greg, your posts are appreciated.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei