Dryer venting to the rooftop?

This is a commercial building that does dog grooming and I assume this is the dryer vent. Is this correct? Seems like a lot of moisture is being put on the shingles in the immediate area with the vent turned toward the shingles let alone with all the lint deposits.

You would have to have the dryer manufacturer’s installation instructions to determine if this venting arrangement is proper or not. Additionally, If enough lint is dropped on the roof, it might plug the downspouts and lead to overflowing gutters.

It does look like it is! If it’s in fact a dryer’s vent, that would normally be a bad idea. Dryer vents should be vented horizontally through a wall so they could be maintained properly and regularly.

Always get a pic of each appliance make, model and serial #s in your inspection so you can Google the installation instructions.

It looks goofy to me, but you never know what is allowed until you read about it in the install instructions.

You’ll get the hang of it, Lawrence. :smile:

1 Like

That is pretty standard for roof venting on homes in the early 90’s or before in my area.

My home built 1979
This is what was normalvent .

1 Like

Exactly, Marc!

That is what my bride’s parents had on their FL home in Spanish Wells in Bonita Springs.

And, it was very easy to clean. I did it every winter for years. :smile:

1 Like

By dryer, I’m assuming clothes dryer vs. a critter dryer. Clothes dryers are required to have a backdraft damper at the termination.

It should have been fitted with a proper dryer vent termination, which will include the damper and typically will not direct the exhaust onto the roof surface (there are many rooftop dryer vent terminations available). As configured, that contraption is also missing a storm collar.

That’s a half fast home made DIY.