Old fuse panel reporting.

I did an inspection on 80+ year old house. Structure was maintained well and appliances updated within 5-7 years. I got the MSP and it was an old fuse panel with 2 subs. The main disconnect worked (house unoccupied) and I could not for the life of me pull the range block within safe boundary’s. The 2 subs were smaller and most had fabric covered wiring. The SEC wire was 60amp, the meter was indicative of 60amp, so I wrote 60amp on report.

My question is How do you report undersized, obsolete panels other than deferring to electrician for further evaluation? Do you have any standard comments that 60amp is inadequate?

Thank You Much!

Considering that the client is buying a 100 year old house, I think that notification of the panel size and that increased electrical load for new appliances we use today may not have adequate capacity is sufficient.

Ask what their plans are for the house. Often they have plans to change things and that new updated service should be incorporated in those plans.

Unless things are overheating at the time of inspection, I do not report it as “undersized”. I do discuss their plans and what appliances they intend to use in the house. I report the “current” conditions of the system. If there are no observable deficiencies, there is no need for me to recommend further electrical evaluation. The client is aware (after the inspection) that any changes in usage will require evaluation before changes are arbitrarily made.

“The minimum standard service allowed today in new construction is 100A, it appears your service capacity and rating is 60A which may be undersized for many of todays modern appliances and needs. While you service may have been properly sized at the time of installation my suggestion is if you plan on doing future remodeling or renovation to bring in modern appliances, computers, etc. that you consider a service upgrade before doing so.”

That is probably something I would say…off the top of my head.

Thank you
That is about what I said. The buyers plans on flipping this house and the service just seems weak for this kind of thing. I was uncertain about proper gronding/bonding, and the fuse block I could not pull, and the shear age of the service, so I recommended an electrician evaluate the integrity and functionality of panels.

Reading the number on the meter is not a reliable way to judge service size. A better indication is the service conductor size.
The catch all “evaluation by an electrical contractor” is your safest path.

I also make sure to include my own recommendation to remove and update all panels and consider new wiring just in case the electrician that gets called does not want the job.

Thank you all, you conformed what I had reported. Appreciate the time and input.