Electrical Book

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

ISBN 1-56158-527-0

![](upload://yrG5ffjPFtzgvZiFWBGUrm0slFL.jpeg)

As many of you know Cauldwell, has also written a home inspection book that I am a fan of as a starter book for home inspectors, and I also like this title.

It is not a Home inspectors guide to electrical systems, more of a general theory and practice, of residential wiring systems, but is non the less a very good publication, that does a good job of covering the electrical systems, it does cover some of the issues related to K&T and Aluminum wiring, and it is nice to see that he explains the differences between "to code" instalations and best practice instalations, the book's chapters cover:

The basics
Tools of the trade
The service entrance
Panels and sub panels
The art of grounding
Wiring room by room
Fuses and Breakers
GFCIs
Receptacles and boxes
switches
Fixtures
Appliances
Lightning & surge protection
Generators

It is very well written, for the non electrician and has a wealth of photographs and clear diagrams, for those who feel that they are weak on residential wiring I would strongly recommend this book.

The published price is $24:95 (US) but Dave can supply it at our usual members discount, please contact him for pricing and availability at membership@nachi.org

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Peter Foxe Smothers

Taunton puts out a lot of very good books. I have read both the electrical and the home inspection book about a year back. Both were very informative from a “basics” view. My latest reading from Taunton (about 7 months ago) was Renovating Old Houses by George Nash. A very good book! Its kind a mix of “This Old House” meets “Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance.” If you enjoy the “Spirt” of old houses its a very good read.

The review does it more justice then I can.

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070624.asp

Happy Reading! You never know what you might learn!

Foxe Smothers

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Reminder that The Home Inspector Store offers this at 10% off published price to NACHI members. Shipping is $5. If NACHI’s price is lower remember that we still offer the 10% off all orders for members on items NACHI does not have.

Good work Gerry and Dave. I have this book and love it.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Joel Corwith

I’ve had this book for many years, and is why I recognized Rex’s name on the home inspection book. It was highly recommended at the time I was looking for references for installing my pool. Looks like the generator section is new but the rest has been there. It was an excellent text for the DIYer and I would recommend it for continuing education for inspectors. The best book I found when it came to wire a new subpanel was “Complete Guide to Home Wiring” by Black&Decker (at HomeDepo’s & Lowes). Probably not as good a general overview of all those systems, but a very good project-by-project reference with excellent color photos & close-ups.

Joel. phx