Exposed Flex Gas Line

This is new construction. Location of water heater is a laundry room. Seems to me the gas line is begging to be damaged. Is this a problem? A C-word violation by chance?

042406 037.jpg

Various AHJs around my area do not allow flex to connect ‘non-movable’ gas appliances.

Other than that, I don’t know.

hey,if ya put a nail thru one side you could hang your clothes up on it:lol:

ok, maybe thats a badddd idea!

Not supported properly. Pg # 41:)
And I would recommend protection from physical damage.

It would be too long for my AHJs. They limit gas flex lines to four feet.

Is that CSST flex piping (e.g. TracPipe) or jacketed solid coper? What did the markings on the pipe read?

I think you’re referring to “appliance connectors” Russ.

CSST (not the same) follows the same general rules as rigid steel piping (galv or black). Although, the CSST pictured was certainly not supported properly.

Yes, it was CSST. I said it was improperly supported in the report.

Thanks to all.

Here is one for you Joe. I knew the bend was too sharp, and was able to read on the tag the the radius should not be smaller than 1 1/2". They even added " about the size of a golf ball". :slight_smile: I liked the golf ball reference as it is easy to visualise.

Yours, Brian, is an appliance connector, which is not the same as CSST. Installation requirements are much different.

Here is another picture of CSST. Although they appear similar, they are quite different. . .


I carry a golf ball in my bag. It makes it hard to refute a hard surface sloping floor. :wink:

Yes, CSST and appliance connectors…different.

They are more similar than differnet in my opinion. The bend radius for both is the same, no kinks, no stretching, etc.

I have a que ball Larry.

You are telling me when the make the miles of sst flex tube at the factory they have a special run for appliance connectors?

As a matter of fact, yes.

Appliance connectors are factory made, listed assemblies, which are not allowed to be modified. They are made in specific lengths and are not allowed to be connected to additional appliance connectors.

They are, exactly what they are - appliance connectors - made to connect gas fired appliances to gas supply lines.

CSST is a piping system. Manufactured in bulk lengths and generally fabricated in “the field” as needed.

My experience is flexible SST tube comes from a handful of giant tube mills. The flexible SST tube than goes to different manufactures to get made into their finished or manufactured product.

I understand that the supply piping and the service whips have different applications, to me they are very similar in nature.

You make an excellent point though Jeff, that they are indeed different, as are their applications, and should be treated as such.

I can easily get off track.:smiley:

Bingo, since it’s CSST flex gas piping. A common field issue with that type of gas piping.


That piece of gas line needs to be secured to the side of the water heater, mounting a piece of conduit with c clips to the water heater and extending it to just below the floor joist, then attach the flex to that works pretty good. If these joints get thrashed around in any way, they can be damaged. In the plumbing field, there are problems starting to occur with some of these fittings leaking. I would pay attention for small gas leaks, especially when you see lenghtes that are not secured properly.

Securing the gas line to the appliance is not a good idea.

What Jeff said.:slight_smile: