Exterior receptacle weatherproof requirements

Disclaimer: im a home inspection student.

Would this exterior outlet be considered a defect by today’s standards? It’s GFCI protected and weatherproof when not in use but there is no casing that would recess the receptacle from water while in use.

Who would use electricity in the rain??

For the idiots that would, recommend an “in use” cover be installed.

1 Like

To answer your question directly, someone dumb.

But my point is more about whether these are acceptable or if the newer ones I see that have a plastic box around them are the current standard for safety.

See my next post.

By today’s standards if this receptacle is in a wet location then an “in-use” style cover is required. If it’s a damp location then the cover shown is permitted. Also the receptacle would need to be WR (weather resistant) rated and TR (tamper resistant) if on a dwelling. Since that a 20 amp duplex receptacle it would need to be on a 20 amp circuit not a 15 amp circuit.

3 Likes

That particular cover is designed for the receptacle to be mounted horizontal.

1 Like

I agree, but does that really matter if that type of cover is installed in a location where it’s permitted?

Do they make a ‘vertical’ version of the same type??

1 Like

Boy do you all like to hear or see yourselves talk and post.

The outlet was acceptable at time of construction. Suggest upgrading to a more current exterior rated cover for safety enhancement that would meet current requirements. I put that in the electrical section of report not on summary for the outlet met the requirements at time of construction.

3 Likes

As if you never saw one?
Here is one installed horizontally.

Maybe we can switch with the OP.

2 Likes

Its fine. It just needs sealing around it.

2 Likes

That is the point I was heading towards!
The vertical ones are installed wrong more often that the horizontal ones!!
Damned sparky’s!!!

Maybe someone that saw someone else do it on TV and thought it would be ok since nothing happened to the idiot on the TV,…

1 Like

That works!!

1 Like

Are they really installed wrong? Those covers are designed for damp locations only. I would think that when mounted in either position they will protect the receptacle with the lid closed.

1 Like

No protection there with that metal box.

1 Like

There is likely only ‘pass-thru’ wires in that metal box. What harm is there?

Water entering the holes and accumulating inside the box causing corrosion on the outlet.

1 Like

There would also be holes on the opposite side acting as drains. :wink:

2 Likes