Felt, Eave, Drip Edge and laps

You come across a roof, asphalt shingles, dimensional, drip edge laps the underlayment on the eave drip edge (also the rake), no apparent damage but its all cladded in alumunum.

To elaborate, at the eave, the underlayment is tucked beneath the drip edge, rather than lapping the drip edge flashing.

What would you recommend? Correction, monitoring, or simply state its wrong. I’m leaning towards statement of fact, potential concerns, no evident damage.

Are talking about aluminum wrapped fascia?

It still should have drip edge. Which was not always required so I am careful with my wording.

Like this

NOT drip edge flashing

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion.

The fascia is aluminum wrapped, with drip edge flashing*. The drip edge flashing however overlaps the underlayment beneach the shingles on the eave edge.

1 Like

But it likely does not have the capillary break…which would be a concern.

Capillary break

That’s also wrong (see image above)

Just call iy out and move on.

1 Like

Be careful with no evident damage. You had significant limitations such as you did not check the entire roof perimeter and the decking/fascia were covered up or not visible.

I say things like this; I lifted the shingles in a couple of select locations. There was no visible drip edge flashing which is recommended. Drip edge flashing protects the roof edge and fascia from moisture damage. Additionally, the fascia aluminum wrap overlapped the shingle underlayment which is improper or substandard and may promote damage. Recommend blah blah

2 Likes

If the underlayment is under the drip edge at the eave, that is not correct and should be called out.

4 Likes

Yes, I plan on calling it out, but do you recommend repair? or just simply state its wrong

1 Like

I recommend repair on that one. I just can’t believe any professional would do that. It’s like roofing 101. Were there other issues?

2 Likes

I think they honestly added that after the fact

1 Like

Added the drip edge? Even so, it can easily be slipped under the existing underlayment.

2 Likes

Then the shingles would be too short to go to the front edge of the drip edge.
I’d call it out, refer it to a roofer and move on.

2 Likes

You’re right of course…drip edge goes under the roof felt on the bottom edge…you should call it out but I doubt they will fix it. It’s done this way because the framer felts the roof but the roofer applies the drip edge. By the time the roofer gets there the felt is already nailed in place and the drip is hard to fit under the felt with nails in the way. So he just nails it on top.

1 Like

Right. Turns out order of operation is important, but rarely stressed.

1 Like

They could pay the framer to put the drip edge on but builders won’t do that because then they’d have to take money from the roofer to balance out their budget…and the roofer will balk at this…

2 Likes

That’s a real pretty picture…see 2012 IRC R902.8.5… where it says “underlayment shall be installed over the top of the drip edge…”… .in 2018 they removed the requirement for drip edge and changed it to “where required by the manufacturer”…

Thats good to know Ray! I wonder why that was changed. Maybe enough subs complained about goin over the drip.

Nobody was doing it on new construction…home inspectors had to call it out…so the builders petitioned to have it changed…well…that’s my educated guess…

1 Like