Florida convention

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Thanks to Nick and the convention staff for offering free convention access to FL inspectors.

Without this offer I would be unable to attend the convention. Staying at the hotel is out so I'll make the 1 1/5 hour drive each way. It will be worth it for the chance to meet everyone and increase my knowlege.

Thanks Again.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dargabright

Great idea. But I think it would be more of a benefit to those from the other states or countries to help defer costs. Let everyone in for free. Those that have already paid should get a refund.

Originally Posted By: tallen

Why , do you think we are offering “free” admission all of a sudden,? to anyone in Florida? I think if anyone deserves free admission it should be people that have to travel cross country to attend. Go figure.

The answer is obvious.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I hear you Todd. I have a problem with:

"Hey your local, come on in and make yourselves at home. The rest of you who had to make hotel reservations, pay for flights, etc. , Well, that'll be $395. Please pay the man at the door."

Sorry, I think I will pass.

tallen wrote:
Why , do you think we are offering "free" admission all of a sudden,? to anyone in Florida? I think if anyone deserves free admission it should be people that have to travel cross country to attend. Go figure.

The answer is obvious.

Read the QI publication on page one. Where it talks about Florida Home Inspection Licensing.

This is not something I asked for, but with a slow start-up business I'll welcome the break.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

I can understand giving Florida inspectors a break that are facing licensing but there are inspectors in many other states that are facing difficult times also. Many inspectors are just starting and could use the waved fee for urgent things that would help them grow their business.

Why just the Florida inspectors. I say that to be fair to all NACHI inspectors the playing field should be level. If one group gets in free then that privilege should be across the board. Let everyone in free. I realize that a waver of fees at this late date may still prevent some from attending. But it would be fairer to all who have planned and paid. Of course there are some who should get a free pass. Those who have donated their time to improve the lot of all inspectors by way of NACHI have indeed paid their way already.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

What about FL inspectors that may have already paid? Do they get a refund?

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Is this for real? Charge everyone about 250.00 if they don’t live in Florida? The only sense I see in that is to kiss the asses of the Florida inspectors. I saw a comment from a Mr Joe Haggerty that, “if I have to pay my way, then everyone else should also.”

We have to remember that this association is not a democracy. I know it's hard to understand but that's the way it is.

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

You have it quite wrong. I really wish you would all just stop with this "NACHI isn’t a Democracy, Nick is a dictator CRAP!) It isn’t true. Why don’t you go out and tell everyone the truth even 1/2 as much as you propagate this lie? Just 1/2 as much would be nice.

I had nothing to do with the convention. I didn't choose it's location. I didn't choose the date. I'm not on any convention committee. I don't run the convention site. I did not approve the education providers. I don't know who is on the convention committee. I didn't set anything up. I'm not involved in any logistics. I don't know where the money is. I didn't collect the money. I don't know where it is being spent. I don't keep the books on it. I'm don't even know what state the convention bank is in.

Some dictator!!!

Here is how I am involved...

The convention people asked me (thru Gary Johnson) to use my ad agency friends (I own 1/4th of a N.Y. ad agency) to make the convention the biggest event in home inspection industry. I agreed to succeed at helping them attain this goal if they would stay out of my way (just as I do on every other issue listed in the paragraph above where I explain that I have nothing to do with the convention). Gary agreed to let me do what I think is best (I demanded a free hand if I was to take over marketing of the convention).

Therefore I am not a dictator here but rather an appointed consultant who demanded a free-hand before I'd take on the daunting task of making the convention the biggest event in home inspection industry. This despite me getting this appointment with little time to succeed (I think they asked me sometime in November).

Anyway, I will succeed.

There were 6 reasons (actually more but I won't bore you) I chose to let new FL registrants in for free (pay close attention to #6):

1. It will increase attendance from FL.
2. The convention is in FL.
3. The vendors want more attendance (obviously) and pleasing them is good for all NACHI members.
4. It offsets some of our fixed costs (like the room blocks we had to pre-purchase) which makes Disney happy and costs us (NACHI members) less in the long run, which means we have more money to spend on all NACHI members.
5. We are using the convention to drum up support for our FL licensing we are pushing through FAPHI which again helps all NACHI members (albeit indirectly).
6. It will drum up enough of a "convention buzz" so as to have the effect of increasing out-of-state, paying, attendance... which from a recent conversation with Gary I learned... it worked. Out-of-state attendance jumped one day after the free-FL announcement. I understand that there are less than 30 of our hotel rooms left.

This is just one of many ideas I implemented to make this convention the biggest event in home inspection industry, as I was requested to do.

And it WILL be the biggest event in home inspection industry.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Quite frankly (as Gerry would say) I don't care if its fair or not. Perfect fairness is not possible and is never a goal of mine. Doing what is best for your association is my goal. I'm sure the airline you fly to the convention on doesn't care that everyone on the plane paid different air fare. The airline has a duty to do what's best for the airline. I have a similar duty to think of NACHI holistically. Is it not better for one state to get in free in order to make licensing, our convention, our vendors, our future convention, our check book, and our NACHI better for all of us? Your fellow FL member's gain is not your loss.

P.S. Another thing, I'm really getting sick of this "dictator" CRAP. Here is a perfect example where I have nothing to do with a project. I don't even know what state the check$ are being sent to.

Here is what really gets me upset: It's not so bad that some members complain and blame me if every little thing NACHI does isn't absolutely perfect. I am grateful to these members because their complaints and criticisms (some are valid) keep me working harder and strengthen NACHI. And it's not so bad that some members complain that I often take swift dramatic action without asking anyone's opinion or permission (it's true). Someone needs to act fast sometimes. What really gets me upset is that it is often the very SAME members.

Complaints are healthy, but to complain that I am a dictator (when I make a decision and act) while complaining that I'm not doing anything to solve a problem (when I leave it to others) is wack.

The people that complain about what's wrong with the conventiion probably didn't help promote the convention at all and probably won't even go to it. When there is a problem, they complain that I don't act fast enough and when I act they complaint that I did.

Interesting fact: No one, not one single person who complained about our recent http://www.nachi.org/iq.htm submitted an article for it. Not one.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Not one, not one single person in this thread mentioned “Nick” (except the one going for free) or the word “dictator”. Not one.

NACHI MAB!

Nick,

I say thanks again for the offer to Florida members. I assumed if it was in New York those members would receive free admission, not because we are special.

Glad to see you finally respond to something, but you had to get pissed off before you did. This was not an answer to a question, this was a DAMN IT, STOP picking on me, response.

From your response it is very evident you have read other threads where questions have been posed to you. Threads where people get frustrated with off topic or no response. So you finally end up here pissing an moaning about how we feel about you and some of your actions or lack thereof.

Well whine whine whine. Step up to the plate and take responsibility for your actions. You are the self appointed leader of this association. You alone are where the buck stops. Until this organization forms itself with full voted leaders and develops set rules to govern those leaders YOU ARE IT, period. You know this and as it has not happened you must want it this way.

By dictating to the convention committee terms of complete control you once again took a dictatorship role.

Here we have typical corporate America management. I will do as I want and you better not piss about it. This association has a lot of VERY smart people, from a vast array of backgrounds. There are a good number asking good questions which you and others take offence at, refuse to answer, criticize, belittle or one of several other negative approaches.

When you say I Will, I Will, I AM, I AM so many times and nothing gets done people begin to diss-believe. When your response tends to be YELL, YELL, YELL what message are you sending?

Dictatorship implies one person with absolute final say. Who in this association can tell you NO. Who do you need to check with before tacking any action? Who is NACHI? That is simple - Nick is NACHI. It does not operate like a national association, it is not really recognized as a national association, But it should!

I believe, as do others that it is time for NACHI to grow and begin life as a nationally recognized association and operate as such. I needs to stand up and stop doing business behind closed doors. It needs to let its members know what is happening, when it is expected to happen, who is doing what and why, where it is going and how is it going to get there.

You brought us together. Now tell us why and what is going to happen. Stop jumping at us because we ask for answers. Stop blaming us if we make a wrong assumption based on the little info we are given. If we are making the wrong assumption who is to blame? US or the person giving us the info the assumption is based on?

Could I run an association such as this? I doubt it. Can one person run an operation such as this? Possibly but not very easily.

I have seen some good people leave this association in the short time I've been here. I've seen some banished for continually bashing this association. Both situations could have, should have been prevented.

One of the marketing tips says take a negative and turn it into a positive. Well bashing and attacks from outsiders was a negative NACHI simply chose to push away. Nothing positive for the association came out of it, but a negative did.

Good members had some issues and questions. Rather than addressing those issues directly those members finally left. How does that look?

Before anyone starts thinking get rid of Rob, Or Rob is whining I am simply stating the facts as they have been presented to me. I have simply asked questions others before me have asked, that went unanswered.

If this was a non-issue WHY are so many asking??????

Put another way. Why are some of you NOT asking??????

One last thought for those who are still reading to think about. IF NACHI closed its doors today, what would become of all its assetts? The servers, The newspaper, The unspent dues. Who would it all go to?

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

up (that it didn’t exist… except for in cyberspace). I just couldn’t believe that people had the time to fill up my inbox telling me the newspaper (which we killed ourselves to mail out Friday and Saturday) didn’t exist.

If someone actually gets a physical copy in the mail, please confirm that it exists.

Apologies again.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Thanks Nick.

Originally Posted By: kbaldwin

Mine arrived in the mail today. Thanks Nick.

Originally Posted By: tallen

I received a copy icon_cool.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Got Mine. Thanks!!

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Robert Zimmerman

A full week has passed and still no reply to your last post. Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer. It appears that when they ( the powers that be) do reply they change the subject. That's easy to do on the net.

Get back to the topic. Nick has all the power he wants to have. He is in fact the keeper of the purse. There may be offshoots that are independent but without NACHI they would fall like a house of cards. There are many good dedicated inspectors that are members of NACHI. For these good people I feel saddened. I fear that as the organization now exists it is only a matter of time until the hard earned funds that keep this organization afloat will vanish to the islands never to be seen again.

It could be soon but most likely it will be later. How much later is anyones guess. If I were the purse holder you would have to rip it from my cold dead hands. I wouldn't give up easily. I'll give Nick credit for getting this organization going, but If his hearts in the right place he'll turn it over to others to make it and the purse money member controlled.

Better men than myself have already tried to take NACHI to the next level and failed. Many are still trying. I can't speak for any others but I have decided that NACHI is not for me. There are to many questions that have not been answered to my satisfaction. If I reported on a house the way many of the questions were answered I would spend a considerable amount of time in court or talking to my lawyer.

I truly hope that NACHI changes and all of the questions get answered clearly. I'll be watching and waiting, but not holding my breath.

dargabright wrote:

I truly hope that NACHI changes and all of the questions get answered clearly. I'll be watching and waiting, but not holding my breath.

You are not alone in your pain.

NACHI has much to offer, but has much more to grow. Theese Teen years can kill a person ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Robert,

Thank you for the great post.

You have addressed some perfectly legitimate issues. You are now in deep trouble. icon_lol.gif

Erol Kartal