Florida Legislative Update

I was a proctologist. Thought I had got out of that biz. Guess I was wrong. Seriously though, Michael, you obviously know what you’re doing. All of us are trying to make a living at this. Licensing is, also, a way for the state to make more money with minimal investment. With that said, let it go. Oh yeah let me answer your question! I just had a truck and a step ladder. But since I’ve been doing it a while I guess I’ve gotten the hang of it.

I don’t whine and I have a contractors license as well as a HI .
They go together well .
Most ppl can’t pass the contractor exam .
Roy

Hey Harry .
I’m down the street from you in High Springs. We need to do lunch at Conestogas one day.

Well said!
It was needed to certify this field as the industry grows. We are a destination for new people and it was going in a much worst direction. Stop BIT&%# and contribute something to make it better or get out.There’s an opening on the View!*
The DBPR has dropped the rate to $100 to renew if I read the renewal and initial fee correctly.

Whohoo we agree. I am trying my best to get out and back into construction. Maybe today. Meeting at 4:00pm Construction Technician, we will see what that entails. I just hope it has full benefits :slight_smile:

Hello Harry,

(Nice website!)

For the most part I agree with your position. I’m not really sure if you were referring to me as one of the whinners. I hope my comments did not come off as ‘whinning’. Personaly, I do what I can to asist any inspector and continue to learn from others as well.

The number of licensed HI’s don’t seem to be effecting my business. But then again, I don’t compete on prices alone.

Let’s be clear about a few things. I hope we can find a level of agreement on: First, 7000 licensed Home Inspectors is unsustainable. Second, the unqualified will eventually be weeded out. Most of whom must compete on a lowest price market. Third, grandfathering process was/is a joke & is the reason we have 7k HI’s. THAT INCLUDES CONTRACTORS WHO ARE GIVEN THE LICENSE without any formal inspection training or experience.

If I’m vocal about anything, it’s the sham that grandfathering was/is and the FALSE sense of accomplishment the license gives the public. Not because it some how affects my business. But I saw the process and I did not like it.

“Third, grandfathering process was/is a joke & is the reason we have 7k HI’s”.

And guess who had a hand in getting well over 1000 inspectors through the grandfathering for about $100.00?

Same crap different year!!

Bill and everyone else, we had 7,000 + inspectors before…it was just that no one knew who they were. Now that we know who they are, many will more than likely come to realize, that performing proper home inspections isn’t as easy as it says on the brochures.
Why are some still crying about this?

There are some extremely bright people in some very well financed companies who are standardizing the whole home inspection process to where any burger-flipper will be able to either become a beauty technician or a home inspector from a course found on the back of a matchbook. This could have never happened were it not for licensing. SPIT!

exactly and they do it so they can use them as cheap labor.

Self serving bastards. :roll: Then they try to justify it saying they are looking out for clients, agents, little ole ladies and the rest.

And before licensing…? :roll:

No, I wasn’t speaking of any one person. Eric is absolutely right though. These inspectors existed before licensing. No one posted billboards stating.,“It’s so easy to be a home inspector just get your license”. These guys, and gals, existed before licensing, you just didn’t know it. Also, yes, 7,000 inspectors is not a sustainable number. Once again, it will weed itself down. It takes work to grow and build any business. The home inspection field is no different. Alot, and I mean alot, of folks just will not be in business a year from now. I’m sorry Joseph and Michael, I don’t agree with you. Before licensing, even you guys have said it, anybody could call themselves a home inspector and DID! I got tired of justifying myself to real estate agents, insurance agents, contractors and on and on. Licensing puts us on an even par with those folks in the public eye. Is the process perfect? NO! None are. But at least we are not under FREC like the inspectors in Texas are under TREC. With that said the requirements need to be expanded to say the least. Understand, I don’t think the licensing process is perfect, but at least it’s a step towards giving us a universal standards of practice and code of ethics. A truck and a step ladder doesn’t accomplish that.

You should not want regulation. You should sell what makes you so great. You do not want to appear equal and your sure as hell do not need the State for anything. I feel sorry for you way of thinking. No offense intended but you got what you deserve because you wanted it. Glad you like it no. Hope it continues for you. I have full intentions of bailing on this biz except for maybe around the cooler months when I need some extra money or the rare instances when I can get paid what I think I am on my days off. I see a few more Home Inspection Alternatives in my future. I have one offer from a builder already and may get another whiten a day or so. I,m likely not going to be able to start where I want but I will have long term plans and goals that I do not feel I have in the inspection industry. I just do not like it :frowning:

You now Mike, you keep harping on “you got what you deserve” and I would really like clarification on that.

Many of us, that were home inspectors long before licensing, are still home inspectors and doing quite well.
I speak with, on average, 4-5 inspectors a week for various reasons. They are all busy and most want to know how to streamline their business as they are “too” busy.

All this talk of “gloom and doom” because of licensing or the State, or a whole host of other excuses, are just that, excuses.

That about sums it up for me. I am almost gone except when I can get a good deal or need some extra bucks so you all enjoy it. I do not enjoy it so I am moving on :smiley:

That is where it is the inspectors job to educate the client why perception, in this instance, isn’t reality.

What you did was market yourself as the cheapest wind mit guy around.
Let that be a lesson to everyone else of what a failing business model is.
I wish you all the luck!

I am doing fine with the wind mit method. I even get work without advertising. There is no problem with the business model.

I hate the job and the folks involved with it. Also the fact that any Tom, Dick, or Harry is now qualified to do it does not help. I do not wish to spend another Summer doing it and there is no future in it.

I am very used to making top dollar and I am making choices based on the market conditions that will once again get me into that position.

I am not labor material. THat was 20 years ago I am excutive type material and that is where I will be.

I have done what I have needed to do to feed and take care of my family but it has never been my long term goal to be king of wind mits.

I love this business. It gives me the opportunity to meet and help people make one of the most important financial decisions they will ever make. It is awesome how you can win someone over that at the beginning of the inspection was a complete skeptic in what you do. Most of the inspectors in my area are thriving right now. Market is booming. Michael I agree, I think it’s time for you to look elsewhere for your happiness. Your attitude has predetermined your success. Good luck!

I am successful as I need to be and was paying bills just fine till my injury. I could have made more if I worked more. I do not wish to work more at something I do not like. The final straw was getting injured and not getting to work during the only time of the year I enjoyed doing insurance inspections. The summers are hell and I cannot bear another. Thats it simple. Maybe come winter during my free time I will dabble to earn some extra xmas money and I may still do some insurance inspections when I can get what I think they are worth and when folks will work with MY schedule.