Florida Licensing Bill - Action Soon

I find it completely and utterly disappointing that the Executive membership (Nick, John, Blaine) have been under a rock during this campaign. Perhaps the three of you could call the Governor on Monday and voice your concerns for your membership.

If you have already made the call, then let the membership know when it actually happened.

I am still waiting on a mass email campaign to let the Florida membership know about this bill. We get plenty of emails from Prolab and the like about CE classes or conventions. Perhaps an email with the Bill attached would be a way to get the info at as well as a position statement on what they should do. Hell, even A$HI and NAHI have a legislative update on their web site.

Perhaps Chris could generate a mass email address signature page. 1500 HI in Florida are waiting for your actions.

Joe, Greg, Doug, Matt, Zoe, myself, and others cannot go this alone!

Sure…Will call first thing Monday morning. Which stance or side do the members down in Florida want me to speak for. Those against or for??

John,

The members that are active on this message board are against the current bill. The bill has many flaws that will affect many businesses.

If we are the largest HI Org in Florida, I would think, we would have more influence on the bill in general. If it does pass we can still influence the changes that need to be made to make it a more effective bill with better consumer and inspector protection.

Please make a call, there is power in numbers and I just feel over all NACHI has not supported their Florida members.

Jay, Paul, Greg, Gary, Doug and Joe have fought hard - Thanks guys

They listened to us and changed the grandfather clause. Now the people pushing for this bill have to jump through the same hoops as the everyone else. We can help make additional changes that appeal to all and wont affect the future endeavors and dreams many have planned and worked hard on.

We need NACHI support though.

John

Very much against it.

Points include; Clients will not be able to find someone for mold in the state at any cost, school for the number of inspectors that we have in the state does not exist, instructor qualifications etc.

I am sure Jay can supply some additional points

In short it is a bad bill for the consumer

rlb

What part of the bill should NACHI the association be concerned with? Is there bias against NACHI anywhere within the bill?

Not as of this date, but it is so open ended that anything is possible. Suffice it to say that the only proponents of this bill are FABI & NAHI, they must be thinking that somehow they will be able to make chicken salad out of this chicken $hit bill. Everyone else is firmly against it even the local ASHI clan which pisses off many of the ivory tower boys back in ASHIville. :smiley:

Those who oppose this bill should concentrate on the lack of a Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics to begin with.

I understand your concerns, but so far I have not been notified nor have I seen anything that should involve NACHI the association.

NACHI’s position on legislation is almost entirely based on association bias. If proposed legislation contains any association bias we are more than happy to get involved. We do not have any consortium or position when it comes to grandfathering, schooling, etc. Individual members should fend for themselves and voice their own opinions and take their own actions regarding state, local, or county legislation that will effect them and their business. NACHI finds it difficult if not impossible to speak for each and every member.

In other words by supporting NACHI members in favor of licensing would aleniate those who are in disfavor and vis a versa.

NACHI Florida membership may want to start plan B. Placement/nomination of NACHI members on any future boards or advisory groups if plan A fails.

Against

John

Association bias would be hard to write into regulation. It has been tried in other states but in reality it is a non issue

Some very “back door” bias will exist with association backed schools and testing companies.

I feel that with the amount of $ involved in the education are that NACHI education will not be approved for any thing

This is association bias but would be hard to nail to the wall

Do you want to go down that thread??

rlb

John

Association bias would be hard to write into regulation. It has been tried in other states but in reality it is a non issue

Some very “back door” bias will exist with association backed schools and testing companies.

I feel that with the amount of $ involved in the education are that NACHI education will not be approved for any thing

This is association bias but would be hard to nail to the wall

Do you want to go down that thread??

rlb

Here is one for you John.

The Bill is against our Standards of Practice. It allows inspectors to legally fix houses after the close of escrow.

You may want to become more intimately involved in the bill. I have posted a link for your reading enjoyment.

http://www.flsenate.gov/data/session/2007/Senate/bills/billtext/pdf/s2234er.pdf

Finally, please don’t act like we have not made you, Nick, and Blaine aware of this until now. I for one have been in consistent communication with Blaine for many many many months. NACHI has made no attempt to contact the DBPR to get the NACHI exam certified. You can now bet your *** that NAHI has the NHIE approved. Nothing like having the NACHI membership support another org by paying for their friggin test.

Jay,

John is incorrect. NACHI, at the invitation of members at a state level, will get involved in fighting legislation that (1) puts existing inspectors out of business, (2) creates undue hardship upon new people entering the field, and/or (3) is association biased.

Did you contact Nick? As for Blaine, I cannot believe that he is not heavily involved (under the radar) representing NACHI as its president. I know he helped us in Missouri kill our bill.

There is so little that an association can do once a bill hits the floor, though. I think NACHI’s greatest role could have come earlier in the game to convince the powers to be that neither the “coalition” or NAHI represent the interests of even half of Florida’s home inspectors.

Jim:

Nick was notfied VERY early on and was kept in the loop. I requested Nick to do certain things to save the membership in Florida. Others made the same attempt. Licensing has shown, with the exception of PA, once enacted, their is no reason to belong to one. Saving 10%-20% on a CE course is not an incentive.

I don’t understand your beef Jay. If you kept Blaine and Nick in the loop, what exactly were you looking for.

Thanks, for the post Jim. I agree with everything you said with the exception of the incorrect part.

No one, from Florida contacted me. Nick, or Blaine with concerns over inspectors being put out of business or excessive hurdles to obtain a license, or bias legislation in Florida.

Florida seems to have addressed most of the above with their 3-year process which if I remember, Jay supported. I believe it was termed “equality for everyone”, no worries over grandfather stuff.

As far as emails go, I couldn’t begin to tell everyone how many times that the updated Florida Mailing List has been provided to the group that was going to start up a State Chapter.

PS - Blaine has cc’d me with all emails that he has sent. I can see how one may interpret his emails as one coming from the NACHI President. But in reality it only mentions that he serves as the President and has not once stipulated that anything that he says is NACHI policy. Blaine is way to smart for that.

Jay,

It’s a strange paradox we deal with as NACHI members fighting legislation.

Where legislation ends all incentive for ASHI membership (for “credentials” they offer are replaced by “licenses” where everyone holding one becomes instantly and equally “competent and qualified”) it tends to increase NACHI membership — where those who are now “licensed” are facing increasing competition among people who hold the exact same license as they do. NACHI is and has always been known more for its marketing than its credentials. It’s good for NACHI, but sucks for the inspector looking for someone to come in and battle on his behalf.

I will say that I have not known NACHI, in any state, to actually formulate a game plan to fight licensing, but I have seen Nick and Blaine respond to specific requests for specific actions to assist efforts to stop licensing.

At my request, Nick had agreed to come to Missouri and speak with legislators and conduct an email campaign to them…opposing the bill. As it turned out, we did not need to call upon him since the bill died in committee and never was scheduled for a vote.

In anticipation of next year’s renewed efforts, much is being planned and we are counting on the various NACHI players to assist when called upon to support our efforts, as promised, but the planning and groundwork is all being done at a local level. I really can’t see it working any other way.

John:

Then why did you bother asking in the thread if there was anything you could do.

No one contacted you because you have been in hiding. All of the efforts have been recognized by Blaine. Please try not to look like you care at this point. It doesn’t amuse anyone.

Don’t take my comments personal John. Your actions are a little too late. Seems like when NY licensing was in play, you were engulfed in the process. 25% of the entire NACHI membership is in Florida. Your hands should have been on this one a while ago.

Seems like the list went to an individual, not a GROUP. NACHI has the ability to send 2500 emails at a time without being spammed.

I would again suggest the link I provided you, be emailed to every FL NACHI member in the morning. ProLab managed to let inspectors know by sending out email on Friday. Funny how a vendor can pimp a $299 class for mold legislation, but we cannot get emails sent to our own membership by National.