Free wind mit/4 pt w/$275 home inspection

Just lost a job to Accurate Inspectors:

2 story home built 1916
1934 sf
Their price: $275 total and includes wind mit and 4-pt

Are we “throwing in” insurance inspections with discounted inspection prices now? If this is the case, I think I’ll put home inspection on hold.

Welcome to the world of anyone being able to do insurance inspections.

What area do you cover?

I believe the package will be priced at about $99 by the July 2012 renewal date next year. This is what happens when anyone can get a home inspectors license… Hey, at $99 it’s still more money than anyone can make waiting tables or flippin’ burgers… Do you want fries with that! ;-):p:mrgreen:

Florida home inspector licensing will drive home inspection prices to the lowest in the nation, count on it.

Take it you never waited on tables.

Damn it sure scares me when we agree so much :smiley:

It is an excellent chance to market why you are better than the other inspector.

I received today, from a Realtor who tends to complain about me being too picky, and inspection report that will be appearing on my website as soon as I remove the names.
And of course there are “issues” and now they want me to come out and do another inspection on the property. I informed the Realtor, that for $75.00 more, you could have avoided all of this. I also informed her to show her next Client my report and the other guys and ask if it is worth $75.00 more.

Then of course, there was the same Realtor who got a wind mitigation inspection done by this same fellow. Said the roof was original, unfortunately, the city of Coral Springs said different as it was replaced in 1996 and due to his faulty WMI, it is costing the Client an extra 1K a year.

Fortunately, I gave the Realtor some information on how to correct the faulty report and while she is at it, a certain home inspector whose license number is in the 800s will be getting a complaint filed against him in the near future.
The handwritten WMI was a nice touch as well!

Joe, I disagree.
If someone says so and so does it for XXX, I just tell them to compare reports. And I do not match anyone’s prices.
I am also very busy and booked through next week. I may just take May off.:mrgreen:

I have said it time and again, the reason people go with cheaper services is that you give them no reason to use you.

If you do nothing that makes you stand out, well then simply you won’t stand out.

Telling people your great, thorough, excellent attention to detail, great report, on time…what do you think that means? I will tell you stop the suspense…it means NOTHING…I mean NOTHING. What do you think your competition is saying? Hi, I suck at inspecting, been doing this a week, might or might not be on time, sometimes I miss a bunch of stuff…NO, they are saying the EXACT same stuff you are. So if you hear NOTHING to really differentiate yourself then PRICE is the only factor left.

Eric is busy because I bet people get a feeling of his confidence and he is willing to PROVE it. He tells them with pride "Do not take my word for it, GO LOOK for yourself!

So what has this statement done? 1. Puts the power in the cleints hands and no hard sell. “Look for yourself” 2. Now he has totally elimated all the competition who DO NOT have a report on their site. 3. People do not like arrogance, but they sure love confidence. 4. And apaprently people see what the difference is and then decide to use him becuase he is offering something his competition isn’t…

Congrats Eric…job well done.

Thanks Russel!:mrgreen:
And yes, I am proud of my work as everything that has “Magnum Inspections Inc.” stamped on it, was designed and implemented by me. The website, any fliers, my forms, all of it.

Someone once told me that, “If you have a product someone wants, you won’t have to sell it to them, the selling has already been done”!

One other thing, it isn’t just the report, there are many other things you can do to “close” the prospective Client. I have had Clients extend their inspection period just so I could make it to the inspection.

Eric,

I do not feel it is our job to figure out when they got their roof done and if it was finalized or not. It is the clients responsibility to get the information and provide it to us to verify. Just like they would have to do for their windows, swr, garage doors, entry doors etc… Our job is to verify what we see and can prove ON SITE. Doing more is admirable but not required and certainly not worth filing a complaint about. The inspector likely asked the client and they did not have any proof. When the client has no proof the shutters have been impact tested and they are not marked then they do not get the credit. The guy should have written unknown but it sure is not his responsibility to contact the bldg dept.

I often explain to them they should get a roof permit history report from their local bldg dept showing a PASSED final roofing inspection if they do not have a signed permit card.

Right there is another example of how to create good will to your Client. By taking two minutes to check something online, I can verify that the roof was changed and when. Or if necessary, make a five minute phone call.

In this case, the home was built in 1978 and the current roof was a nail-down tile roof. What does that tell you?:wink:

Added with edit: Mike, pertaining to the bolded,underlined portion of your post, doing more gets you this Clinet and many more. Also, the complaint is for filling out the form improperly, not once, but twice, and then submitting it, which I am sure an attorney could say caused harm to the Client as due to the inspectors negligence, the insurance quote was $1,000.00 a year higher.

Answer the question in my post above. What box should be checked for Question 2 on the WM form?

The first thing the inspector did wrong was say it was an original roof, which it obviously wasn’t, if the inspector knew what type of roofs were installed in 1978 in that area of Coral Springs, he would have known it was a newer roof. He changed the date when the Realtor sent him a copy of the closed permit.

Mike,

In this every changing world those who adapt will do more. Competition has become stiff. Who do you think that client is going recommend, the guy who screwed up or the one who spent two minutes verifying the roof. I dont know how busy you are, but I bet you could be a whole lot busier if you would adjust your business model.

Competing with lower priced, less qualified or less competent people is a fact in just about any service business. Some clients will only shop for the lowest price, and some will only shop for quality. Most will shop for the best perceived value.

This industry has no easily definable product, thus we see incredibly poor reporting, like the example Eric has on his site and we see good reports like what Eric does. Same goes for the inspection itself. Same goes for client interaction and communication.

There is no reason to believe that Florida will be the lowest priced market anywhere. Before licensing went into effect, anyone could put on a flashlight and call themselves a home inspector, and many did. Now, with licensing at least we know how many, and who they are.

Thanks Blaine.

Back to the wind mit incident above, it appears after closer examination of the inspectors own picture, by me, there is going to be yet another revision in his inspection report which will save the Client $700.00 yearly.

By spending five minutes with a Realtor, I saved her Client almost $1,500.00 yearly. I don’t have to solicit Realtors or anyone else. She has sent me four new Clients today alone for home inspections , 4-point, roof certs and wind mits.

Let’s see, five minutes time = $2,000.00 worth of work.

And then of course, there was the very upset home inspector that called me today to complain that his report appears on my website.
Perhaps, I’ll just put a link to the original sample report on his website and everyone can download it, or, maybe, include it in one of my upcoming blog posts! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Perhaps the latter will be the better choice as it is covered by freedom of the press!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

PS. Thanks tot he fellow NACHI member who sent it to me!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Eric,
I noticed you put estimates together for your clients on your inspection reports. Is this a normal practice for you? Don’t you worry you might scare off your client from a home that your telling them it will cost $59k plus to fix the potential house they’re looking at buying? I’m just saying it seems a little risky to put yourself out there like that as an inspector, especially if your not a licensed contractor and not qualified to give estimates…or maybe you are?

Eric,
You want to play a game?
Many have tried.
I have nothing to fret about. I have more friends and family that are lawyers than you can shake a stick at so it won’t cost me a dime to make your life hell.
I assure you if you fu-k with me I will come at you tenfold. Anytime any place.Go ahead with the link or any other crap you want to try. I was not going to call you out on it but since you want to be billy bob bad a-s there it is.

For the record I called this prick and asked him to take down the report I created as he has no rights to it i WAS POLITE AND DID NOT CUSS OR RAISE MY VOICE. damn cap button. This little piss ant must not remember that our ever so popular COE prohibits doing another member harm. The only reason I contacted him is because it was showing my information and such.

Just shows what someone who cannot compete with their own qualifications will do to get a crumb.

Eric,
You want to play a game?
Many have tried.

I have nothing to fret about. I have more friends and family that are lawyers than you can shake a stick at so it won’t cost me a dime to make your life hell.
I assure you if you fu-k with me I will come at you tenfold. Anytime any place.Go ahead with the link or any other crap you want to try. I was not going to call you out on it but since you want to be billy bob bad a-s there it is.

Just wait till you see my 50% off special to any of your past or present clients. Just think of all the possibilities I have at my disposal. You should really learn not to sh-t where you eat and do not screw with those who work in the same circles as you do. Just think about what will happen if every time I come in contact with someone I tell them this story. How do you think you will look? I have great relationships with many inspectors from Miami to Jupiter and always try to help those in the same business as me.

Whats your beef with me anyhow? I remember even trying to help your sorry a-s once or twice. Do you know why I called you? Because I am a man and if I have a problem with someone I go to them and discus it man to man. I am not some sorry a-s loudmouth Internet bi-ch running my mouth on a keyboard. I deal with my issues in person with the person I have an issue with in a polite professional manner, like I tried with you. Here is my last bit of advice you will get from me. Keep your mouth shut regarding me and my business and do not fu-k with me unless you want more bad publicity than you can handle. If you are smart you will just let it go and not mention me further. If not then let the games begin.

For the record I called this prick and asked him to take down the report I created as he has no rights to it i WAS POLITE AND DID NOT CUSS OR RAISE MY VOICE. damn cap button. This little piss ant must not remember that our ever so popular COE prohibits doing another member harm. The only reason I contacted him is because it was showing my information and such.

Just shows what someone who cannot compete with their own qualifications will do to get a crumb

This is what he said about me below on his website. It is straight out slander because my name and company was visible and I have witnesses. I follow the InterNACHI C.O.E. strictly and have never had one single complaint or statement against me. I have never done what he said I did.

**Some inspectors may also be contractors who merely took a test to get licensed. These may be the same contractors that were performing the work, which is found deficient at numerous inspections. These inspectors offer discount pricing in order to get their “foot in the door” and then sell the Client or Seller repairs. **
**See an inspection report for one of the above mentioned contractors HERE. **

At the time I received the call from one of my MANY friends in the business my information was clearly visible. Hell maybe I will file a complaint with my “friends” on the ethics committee just for sh-ts and giggles.

Guess what? The guy that called me and I both saved copies of you page slandering me and my name showing on the information you posted.
Or did we?
hmmmmmmm

By the way, anyone who wishes to view the “sample” but not post my sample report just follow the link in the signature and I am sure you can view it until I post a better one on the new website. Apparently I must ask so here it goes.
Feel free to view anything I have posted but please do not use my personal intellectual property on your own site.

This may get fun stay tuned.

Kris,

What do you think? :smiley: According to www.myfloridalicense.com all he is is a HI.

I wonder if he used this popular method of becoming one those many years ago when he got started. Well maybe there were some requirements that you had to have that I just do not know about but I don’t think so.

Click heals together 3 times and proclaim loudly. I am a home inspector, I am a home inspector, I am a home inspector.

Home InspectorVAN DE VEN, ERIC CHARLES](https://www.myfloridalicense.com/LicenseDetail.asp?SID=&id=6A35CBAD9A6533CE5BF5036DB2266AB7)PrimaryHI591
Home InspCurrent, Active
07/31/2012 *Main Address:**451 PALMETTO DR COCONUT CREEK, FL 33066

Mike, I don’t know whats going on between yourself and Eric, but I’ve got a feeling we’re all about to find out. :shock:

Eric, I’m also surprised you have a link about “some inspectors aren’t even living in FL” (or something like that) and then you have a link that takes you to Nick & Ben’s name and address. What gives?
How on earth does the fact Nick & Ben are not from FL help you in your marketing? Are they (or anyone else not living in this state) a threat to your business? These guys have done incredible things for the inspection industry. So what if they got licensed in our state…maybe one day they’ll want to move here.
I’m not trying to start anything with you, but maybe you should think about your marketing tactics. We’re all professionals here.

At least I am in good company :cool: