Fun with thermal imaging

Here is something for everyone…

Attached are two images taken using thermal imaging. Anyone want to try reproducing them with their imager.

Any Level 1,2, or 3 guys out there try to keep from posting any comments and giving the secret away to everyone else. Lets try to make this a learning experience.

IMG003.ANA.JPG

IMG005.ANA.JPG

wow, very nice Scott!

Show us some more!

I love the reflection through the glass in the top one. Once Scott reveals how this was done, the reflection is even more impressive.

Very nice tuning on the second one, Scott.

JJ

Ahhhh did you say short or long???:wink:

ol’ dawg ain’t talkin’

What you mean old dog he’s just a pup:D:D

once upon a time :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Jason: you meant “off the glass” didn’t you? IR can’t pass through glass!-X

Look at the second picture Dave. IR can pass through glass. That is an image of the actual filament, not a reflection. I know you know how this was done and can be reproduced, but lets hear it from some of the other guys.

Not being an IR guy my first thought was this image had to be taken immediately after the bulb was lit in order to produce the image before the the glass heated up.

Reason is that once the bulb has been lit for a while you would only see the shape of the glass as it heats up and not the filament.

How many here think IR can pass through glass?!

I think Scott is playing tricks on us with photoshop!

Maybe the Fusion option?

It can pass through glass.
Just not double reflective layers and UV rays.

Why can’t I see peoples eyes through their glasses?

I can’t see it with my camera. Even with a filter. How ccome he can?

I would assume if that is true that it is due to the fact you are getting distortion from reflective quality (or distortion) of bent light through the highly concave or convex thicker glass.
Light bulb glass is very thin and also has a vacuum which does not retain heat inside it.Your skin temperature would radiate into a thick glass.

Just guessing.

grillin’ weiners i’ll get back to ya :wink:

Very interesting thoughts on reflection and density!
Reflection can wipe out a thermal anomaly can’t it?
Density effects transmissivity doesn’t it?

Also about vacuums. There can not be any convection heat transfer in a vacuum or in space can there?

Hay, that sounds (smells) good! :^o

David,

You are having too much fun with this lol

Nice Images Scott.

I have to stay with Dave on this IR long wave as we know it does not transmit through glass;-):wink: what do they make IR windows out of Glass or plastic