Getting clients when you first start-out?

Originally Posted By: jvanloo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How did everyone market and get their clients when they first opened for business? What should you expect in your first few months? I do have experience in running my own business and a little marketing.

Thanks,

Jason Van Loo

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jason,

Did you not post this same thread earlier? I could have swore that I responded to a thread already from you which was pretty much the same request.

Am I going nuts?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jvanloo

Joe,

You are not nuts..... I did post a similiar post asking advice on working for myself or another company. This latest post was asking for advice on marketing and getting started. What to expect?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jason,

If you haven't posted that before, I at least know I've written this on the board a bunch of times, so here goes.

Get yourself out into Realtors offices as much as you can. Get your self some talking points or bullet points that you can quickly say to any Realtor you get the chance to talk to. Things like, experience, ability, professional attitude. Things that you feel comfortable talking about that set you apart from your competition. Then be ready to answer questions.

Make sure you have brochures in every office you want to get work out of. Stuff flyers in their mail boxes once a week or so, depending on how busy and large the office is. You will have to have your name in front of them many times before they will recognize it. Have something gift-like to hand to each realtor you meet. I have my business card stuck to a pack of M&M's. Realtors love food, and candy, and if they are the busy ones they don't often have time to eat. This has worked very well for me for a long time.

Last, Join the local Board of Realtors and Womens Council of Realtors. These two places provide you an excellent opportunity to meet agents you won't see in the offices, especially the ones who work from home.

If you are like the majority of us, business will start slow the first few months, then build more quickly.

The business you get in the beginning depends totally on how effective you are at getting your name out in front of the agents, and doing an outstanding job when called. If you are good, your name will be spread around fairly rapidly, and after 12 to 18 months you will be well established. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)