Glass Block

How are inspectors handling glass block? The new form does not provide any grey area, either it is rated or not.

Proof or not as far as I am concerned.

Yup I noticed that as well glass block in all of the state is considered glazed opening as far as the new form is concerned

Here in Broward, it has to be covered.

sorry…

According to the form it is a glazed opening and must be rated.

Outside the HVHZ, you still have to mark X if not protected. You should also provide comments stating the FBC does not require protection if true glass block with mortar. They may exempt it.

Bradley, I have yet to find an underwriter to exempt this.

Neither have I.

Really:

This is really a great point that I have tried to make before. It doesn’t matter what some program or course, or expert teaches. It is the form itself and the definitions in it that MUST be the final word.

We have had this discussion about the number of missed nails, the number of nails in a attachment, etc…

It’s ALL irelevant and up to interpetation until the form itself makes it clear. As it has with the 3 nail requirements introduced in the recent form.

Who wants to bet that glass block will be addressed in the next Wind Mit?

Glazed opening must be protected or proof…http://www.miamidade.gov/building/library/productcontrol/noa/08073108.pdf

Miami Dade has always required glass block to be protected…This ia about outside the hvhz.

Because opening protection is not required for glass blocks by the FBC outside the HVHZ, inspectors should select X and make a comment stating as such. This will exempt glass blocks from needing opening protection. They must be true glass blocks with mortar joint, not the plastic kind. This is directly from Citizens.

Thank you Kevin.

Yeah now someone gets it. Why can they not get it right?
Because they refuse to start from scratch and only include what matters. If it does not matter it should not be written down or included in the report.

Only those with actual experience should be able to decide what is safe not the biggest companies with the most employees.

Does anyone really wonder why they agree with every piece of crap put in front of them?

The OIR needs to take charge and make it crystal clear.

I personally volunteer to write the next form for the OIR if they hire me.

It will be crystal clear and safety will be a top concern. I will take NO input from the insurance companies and I will tell them how it is to be done.

In other words I will REGULATE the INSURANCE COMPANIES they will not regulate me.

Better yet just put me in charge of the whole OIR and I will fix all their issues :smiley:

Then I will make a website where all those involved can go to get the answers to questions needed.

Do you have that in writing?

As far as classes and the form go:

I suggest to anyone who wants to interpret the form, to be involved in the whole process. Listen to the the comments about the form(at the OIR meetings) read the studies and lastly listen to all about the form. You then have an appreciation of what the expected responses should be and what was the intention of the form. Every person listen/reads and draws conclusions differently. The goal of every inspector should be to do it to the best of their ability and using the most correct interpretation. I am by no means implying my views are the best. There are several classes that are extremely helpful with great insight to the process, take one or several then make up your mind. You will be surprised how much your views change after another class. Going around interpreting the form and drawing your own conclusions can make you look very bad and not help your customer in the long run.

Let’s face it most of the time the form is simple and straight forward and most homes are not. It is the building design and techniques that are hard to classify, not the form.

Yes but not from citizens, but a company that works closely with them.

It appears most want to make their own interpretation. I think I remember someone posting here that the OIR said inspect following one of the approved courses. If inspectors are not attending courses they should not be performing these inspections. Again I would love for them to require 14 hours every 2 years of education in wind mitigation to be able to perform the inspection.

I would love for them to have to do that to review or have any input in the inspection process at the insurance companies :slight_smile:

What would be considered a company that works close with them?