Hey Dan and Todd... any truth to this rumor?

Yea… For the past year plus, I’ve only done 6-8 re-sales a month.
Realtors around here get upset if you cannot do a re-sale in 2 or 3 days or provide free termite inspections, and tell their customers to call another inspector. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Excellent Dan…:D:cool:

[/QUOTE]

Todd… I think nick got confused with the Blue Nextel car, and thought it said NACHI.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How’s that AS__ branding thing working out guys?

Last I heard … Very well…
The last reporter had references to over 15 additional ASHI plugs, total plugs recommending hiring ASHI inspectors are well over a 500 sources, these plugs/ recommendations have been read by over 50 million people in the last couple years. :wink:

Thanks for the update Dan.:slight_smile: I must keep missing those “500 sources”.

Dan, I know you know as well as I do that ASHI is going down… It is not that NACHI is taking over it is the fact that Realtors and clients just dont care about it anymore, especially in States with licencing. I know you have more experience than I do and are probably a better inspector overall, but the public only sees the facts of the matter.

I am a HI and have been around for 5 years and have a State cert. among other qualifications and 200+ CE hrs… So, if they are smart and call both of us and ask the correct questions the chances are they will hire you (my prices are higher anyway):stuck_out_tongue: The point is the consumer is getting smarter all the time and I have more and more calls asking me the right questions. In the end noone cares if you are an ASHI/NACHI member… all they care about is if you know what the hell you are doing.:mrgreen:

[QUOTE]

Honestly I am seeing just the opposite. For a while ASHIs membership was flat, from what I see locally and at the convention this past Jan. more and more inspectors are recognizing the best HI knowledge is from veteran HIs locally and nationally. I am also seeing more new local inspectors hungry for more HI marketing , and more young blood attending local CE courses looking to get the edge on local inspection information from experienced inspectors , information that is not available from the internet or any internet based org.

Licensing may give the public the impression that all inspectors are equal. New inspectors utilizing HI and marketing knowledge shared by veteran inspectors will always prevail in the long term.

Gosh I long for the good old days. dHarris - do you remember when to be an ASHI member you really had to do 250 inspections for full membership.

You remember what I’m talking about. The old days before someone at ASHI figured they could accelerate full membership in ASHI by letting you count “ride-a-long inspections” with another inspector toward your 250 inspections for full membership.

Golly, it almost seems like an ancient memory today. I sure wish that had the back when I got in. Sure could have gotten me and a thousand or two other ASHI members to full membership a lot quicker with a whole lot less work.

Isn’t that a sad statement, instead of making this a professional trade, we are “dumming down” the requirements to become a home inspector.

Let’s give our head a shake here, this is a serious business, with serious consequences if we don’t do our job correctly.

Why are we dumming things down, when we should be making it more stringent?

Why are we turning this trade into a job that a kid out of high school can do?

We are quickly turning this profession into a joke…

IMHO.

[QUOTE]

Hi Dan… Auctualy I do, as I too did have to do the 250.
I also supported the ride a longs counting towards membership as long as the inspector had approved HI training and ALL his reports were reviewed by a qualified inspector.

I don’t feel that I was wrong with that decision, honestly I figured an inspector that completed approved training and completed parrell inspections, and his reports were reviewed by another certified inspector, that inspector had an edge over me with only HI training, and felt he deserved the option to use those reports towards the 250.

Agreed! It is just too bad that all the big political players in regulating our industry have a financial interest in this sad state of affairs continuing down this slippery slope- they depend on the hoards of overnight HI’s buying tools, certification, licenses, CE’s, etc.

Jason 1:

**"Isn’t that a sad statement, instead of making this a professional trade, we are “dumming down” the requirements to become a home inspector.

Let’s give our head a shake here, this is a serious business, with serious consequences if we don’t do our job correctly.

Why are we dumming things down, when we should be making it more stringent?

Why are we turning this trade into a job that a kid out of high school can do?**

**We are quickly turning this profession into a joke…"

Bravo!!! My sentiments also. Well said!!! You’ll see that I’m saying similar on other threads.

Glad you two agree with each other but I do see you do not support NACHI but do not mind using our BB and are trying to convert many NACHI members to your way of thinking .
Strange how every one else is out of step many, who do quite well in the Inspection industry thank you .

And you don’t think the executive aren’t getting a nice cut of your $289.00. Who is checking their expense accounts? Some will gleefully chime in with “So what, I got certified in 3-4 weeks (or less maybe!) and I’m part of the largest HI org. (that doesn’t verify that I’ve done what I’m supposed to do. Good for them)”. Got to love it!!

The suppliers don’t care what’s really going on but will support it wholeheartedly since they see their sales soaring. At some point when oversaturation of the market occurs, sales will plummet incredibly. As those considering the field get wind of the situation, they will choose something else and the failing companies will sell on the web with much cheaper, almost brand new, second hand equipment (70%+ fail quickly; one’s in my backyard: he better keep his day job. We are oversaturated here with many part timers but starting to see it weed it self out- “The Retired Architect” {out of business now after 1-2 years}, active and retired contractors, active engineers and consultants, military given free HI training when getting out).

I’ve seen it in the energy industry with items such as blower doors- I know where there are 3 sitting dormant within 10 miles of my place and I haven’t even been looking for one as I still have my 1981 unit working well. Can’t wait for some of this equipment coming onto EBAY soon so that I can upgrade at 20 cents or so on the dollar!! Thanks Big Nick!

Originally Posted by nwagner
Agreed! It is just too bad that all the big political players in regulating our industry have a financial interest in this sad state of affairs continuing down this slippery slope-* they depend on the hoards of overnight HI’s** buying tools, certification, licenses, CE’s, etc.*

Roy:

*The above quote is from a NACHI member who has been a very active adversary of myself and others on the threads. *

We should have a phone meeting some evening. I see that you are an even tempered fair individual. I’ve got free calling after 6.
Regards,
Brian
ps: The bold in his quote is my work.

This can only be accomplished through a series of frontal lobotomies, Roy.

The tragedy as I see it is the blatant use of licensing by some groups implemented only to protect their market share, in retrospect I am not sure if they were simply stupid or blinded by their greed.

None the less it became apparent quite quickly that licensing was never really going to reduce the number of competitors in the market, but that truth could not change the momentum. It didn’t take too long for the so-called training institutes to pick up and run with the ball in a vain attempt to fill their classrooms.

Sadly it is the associations who in the end will suffer the most and have to settle for a much smaller role within our profession, with the loss of ownership of their SoP and no real power to regulate, associations will become the mouse who roared and be relegated to simply providing service. Those who are able to provide low-cost service with a smile will survive those who still populate ivory towers and attempt to dictate policy without power will fall by the wayside. Expect change.

My way of thinking, Roy, is that I want this to be a professional occupation.

Do we all not share that common goal?

This is not whether I support NACHI, ASHi or whomever, it is whether we all support the common goal of bettering our profession. Period.

I see. You make a very strong and understated point.

Where the state has replaced ASHI in providing the “credential” (license), and since membership in ASHI offers no other real benefit, soon EVEN MORE people will realize the futility of membership.

And in the remaining states that are resisting licensing attempts, ASHI presidents in an effort to gain positions on controlling licensing boards and teaching positions) are actually condemning their own association to obscurity by pushing licensing bills.

Only NACHI, who offers more in the much needed area of marketing, remains relevant when a state gains control over home inspectors.

This information should headline the next ASHI monthly newsletter to its members, IMO.

What makes you think regulation of your area will work when it is “failing miserably” everywhere else? It seems to me that you are also acknowledging that this broken system is beyond repair- so how is further regulation going to help?