ashi changes

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone looked at this on the ashi site? If so is this an ashi deal? I looked at some local ashi websites and they have the virtual tour on them. Also I really don’t keep up with other organizations, but ashi has done a complete make over. Have they changed the candidate deal? It looks to me that all you have to do to become a member is wait 30 days and pass the exams? If so this is very different then a year ago.

![](upload://xdKDsbd9CmSkGsgMBptT1LQx8Br.gif)

--
NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: ekartal

cmccann wrote:
Have they changed the candidate deal? It looks to me that all you have to do to become a member is wait 30 days and pass the exams? If so this is very different then a year ago.

Candidate members are now listed in the ASHI search directory for inspectors. Before you had to be a full member. The reason for the change is candidate members also pay for branding... Remember though that candidates are not candidate members. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Erol

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

ASHI got afraid that all the candidates would jump ship if they didn’t include them in their inspector search list.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

It’s kind of confusing. It goes something like this.

- candidates (no logo, no web listing privieges).

- candidates with logo (pass NHIE and complete 50 inspection).

- Full membership (250 inspections).

I am a candidate member of ASHI but debating renewal. I don't see too much benefit if you're not a full member. It's not good business to advertise yourself as a candidate.

Erol

By branding is ashi meaning marketing the term “ashi”? Sorry i’m not real up on the whole ashi thing, but I do like the virtual tour window, and I like the new website, less clutter and more main stream.

NACHI MAB!

It’s all about brand recognition (the psychological effect of a logo is powerful). Yes ASHI, NAHI, NACHI marketing. All associations like to market themselves. icon_smile.gif

Erol

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

ekartal wrote:
It's kind of confusing. It goes something like this.

- candidates (no logo, no web listing privieges).

- candidates with logo (pass NHIE and complete 50 inspection).

- Full membership (250 inspections).

I am a candidate member of ASHI but debating renewal. I don't see too much benefit if you're not a full member. It's not good business to advertise yourself as a candidate.

Erol

As for becoming a member it is not an instant process. It does take time, you have to take the required exams and do the number of inspections. It's not for everyone but those are the requirements that have been set in place and everyone is aware of them before they join.

Chuck,

If you have the 250 inspections already all you have to do is take the NHIE the ASHI Standards test have your reports verified that they meet the standards, submit the required forms and yes in thirty days you are a full member.
This has not changed.

I agree and so do many others in ASHI about the title of candidate, works are in progress of changing but when you have around 4000 full members who were candidates at one time also it is a hard thing to change. I do think that experienced inspectors and new inspectors should have a different designation and not all be lumped into the same category. Training, knowledge, experience and education should be worth a little more and deserve some recognition. Kind of like the BA, MA, and PhD. degrees, they show the different levels of education.

At the ASHI annual conference InspectionWorld, in Austin TX Jan 2005, we will no longer have the Candidate Track of education. We have changed it to the Back to Basics Track, this is just one of the many changes underway. We have over 1600+ inspectors in attendance at our conference (plus several hundred that do not belong to ASHI) and about a third to half of them are new to the profession, making this one of larger education tracks for inspectors to learn the basics.

Hope this helps some.

Scott Patterson
ASHI Education Chairman

I want to ask a question…

What about the 249 non-certified inspections an inspector has to perform without being ASHI certified. Does this mean the customer gets any less of a professional inspection for those as apposed to after?

Hey Kevin,

That's one of the biggest debates of them all. I know for a 100% fact that there are inspectors with 30-40 under their belt that are better than ones with 300-400 +. That's not an ASHI thing though, I'm sure you see it often with any oranization. It's not just the inspection part either. I know of seasoned inspectors that explain the agreement to the client after the inspection with check in pocket!

Erol Kartal

Thanks Scott that does help. Two questions, Can I post on the ASHI board like you can on NACHI, and how can I get the virtual tour home inspection on my website? Thanks,

NACHI MAB!

cmccann wrote:
Thanks Scott that does help. Two questions, Can I post on the ASHI board like you can on NACHI, and how can I get the virtual tour home inspection on my website? Thanks,

Yes, you can post on the ASHI site if you join ASHI. ASHI has chosen not to make their discussion board public. It is a benefit of joining.

Yes, you can get the virtual home inspection tour on your site if you join ASHI and have taken the NHIE, had your reports verified that they meet ASHI standards and have performed at least 50 inspections.

Many of the benefits that are offered to NACHI members are also offered to anyone who joins ASHI. One example is that FREA offers the same discount to ASHI members as they do to NACHI members. In fact a good percentage of the benefits for NACHI members that are useful are offered to ASHI and NAHI members.

Joining a professional association does not make an inspector any better of an inspector. It takes education, testing and experience to improve in any profession and that includes home inspections.

All of the originations have poor, fair and good inspectors. The requirements for joining do not alleviate poor inspectors from joining any association.

Scott

Cliffnotes version: No.

kmcmahon wrote:
I want to ask a question...
What about the 249 non-certified inspections an inspector has to perform without being ASHI certified. Does this mean the customer gets any less of a professional inspection for those as apposed to after?

ASHI does not certify inspectors or their inspections.

As for the quality of the inspection, I guess that depends on the individual performing the inspection. I always look at things from the view point of the consumer or as if I was the one needing the service.

I guess the question to ask is what makes a good inspector? If you ask me that question I would have to say that the following would be an inspector I would use if I was a consumer:

1. Education in the profession
2. Full time inspector
3. Has references of past inspections I can check on if I want.
4. Has passed the NHIE or comparable exam
5. Has experience in the profession (50, 150, 200, 250, 300 inspections)
6. Is professional in appearance and demeanor
7. Produces an easy to read and understand report with photos.

When I look back at the first 50, 100 or even the first 500 inspections I shudder to even think about those inspection and what I have learned with over 3700+ inspections later. Every inspection is a learning experience in some form or fashion. As you build your numbers of inspections up you realize just how much you don't know.

Quote:
ASHI does not certify inspectors or their inspections.

Can opened...worms everywhere.....

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

AMEN. I have done just over 100 and I look at my first ones and think What the hell was I thinking? icon_eek.gif I can’t imagine what I will think at # 3000

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Eat the worms icon_lol.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I will agree that you never stop learning.

but I don't wanna eat the worm... ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

So Todd, when a client calls and asks if you're ASHI certified, now you can say in all honesty: "ASHI doesn't certify their inspectors!"

--

Will do. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

But NACHI does ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I as you, have taken there exam the "NHIE" it is a good exam ,but the new one Gerry is doing is at least 10% harder..

GO NACHI!!!!

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

kmcmahon wrote:
I will agree that you never stop learning.

but I don't wanna eat the worm... ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

So Todd, when a client calls and asks if you're ASHI certified, now you can say in all honesty: "ASHI doesn't certify their inspectors!"

And that would be the truth. ASHI does not certify its members. What would be wrong with telling the truth? I have belonged to ASHI for seven years and have never been asked if I am certified by ASHI. I have been asked how many inspections I have done and how long have I have been in the business hundreds of times.

Scott

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Scott:

Thank you for being so willing to answer these questions. I'm hoping that you become a NACHI member soon... or at least a NACHI/ASHI member... heck, I'd settle for having you be an ASHI/NACHI member, just get over here.

Anyway... I often see ASHI members using the phrase:

"ASHI Certified"

If ASHI doesn't certify its members... is this phrase wrong, or am I missing something?

Nick

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.