Hi Hello Need INFO!!

Originally Posted By: Michael M Djokovich
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello, I’m making a lateral move due to injury,I’m really curious about job info for starters the Philly area would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been in the const trades for 22 yrs., Are there any pointers about getting started after I attend a 11 day course If anyone has attended AHIT Input on their program is good,Also What org.is neccesity and what is secondary they seem to be expensive. ANY ADVICE WILL BE WELCOMED Thanx Grumpy icon_idea.gif icon_question.gif

Does anyone have any leads on Job opps. arround the So.Jersey/ Philly area, Due to NJ’s legislature any opp’s outside in the tri-state will be welcomed maybe we can make a match ( ETA in NJ last week may '03)

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Wow, I’m surprised that 30 people have seen this and no one has welcomed you or responded yet. Usually pretty prompt responses on the boards. Welcome to the NACHI message board. I’m in Kentucky so not completely familiar with PA issues, but I’ll give it a stab.

First thing I'd do is change the nick. Grumpy?? Smile once or twice, I promise it won't kill you.

What kind of injury forces you out of the trades that will still let you climb thru attics and crawl thru crawl spaces?

If you've not already signed up for your course, I'd get some more input from the guys before doing so. Remember, most of us only attended one, if any, so tend to favor the one we went to. If we went to two it was because the first one stunk. I went to the Midwest Inspectors Institute in Leavenworth, KS, price included hotel room and all meals. http://www.midwestinsp.com Class for 9 days from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM, then homework. Another 6 or 7 days of field training. Not much time for s#!t. You pay to learn, they teach you good.

In PA, I believe membership in a NATIONAL organization is not only essential, but required by law. NACHI, NAHI, ASHI and others meet that requirement. As a new Inspector in Pennsylvania, I think you'll probably get the most help out of NACHI. There are some issues between NACHI and Pennsylvania ASHI so don't expect to hear to much good about Pennsylvania ASHI from there or much good about NACHI from the ASHI Pennsylvania guys. Search this board and www.inspectionnews.com message board about it. A lot has been written. Use search terms like "NACHI" and "PHIC" (Pennsylvania Home Inspector's Coalition) http://phic.info . Research the fray before jumping into the argument, there's good and bad on both sides of the issue.

NACHI is growing and getting better all the time. Well worth the cost. However, I've also gotten a lot out of ASHI National. The ASHI Message Board for learning and support is far superior to any of the other message boards I've found. I'd pay twice the ASHI fee just for access to the helpful guys on that board and their years of wisdom.

Two or three hundred dollars a year for association membership is very well worth it if it's the right organization. Continuing education, sharing of information and experience, etc, are all very handy to have access to. My preference is for non-profit, member owned organization. Beware of the diploma, certification for a check, alphabet soup mills. Send them a check and they'll give you initials to put behind your name. NOT WORTH IT! They may sound good in the short term, but aren't worth the money in the long run.

If you really want an education about the home inspection business, take the time, (and it will take you some dedicated time) to read every message available on this message board and www.inspectionnews.com message board. I did, it took over a week to do so, but damn did I learn a lot and saved myself many many many many many mis-steps in getting started.

The very best advice I can give you is NOT TO MAKE ANY COMMITTMENTS TO ANYTHING: TOOLS, SCHOOLS, OR ORGANIZATIONS until you've followed the advice in the paragraph above. You'll get real life advice (along with opinions and you remember what those are like) and there is no shortcut to it. Read those boards. Every stinking message.

Good Luck and Welcome

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

icon_lol.gif

Grumpy, First off WELCOME!

I agree with Erby. I have been in this business for just over a year, but didn't decide to become a home inspector until I had about six months of very in-depth research. With a stack of brochures from inspection schools, a note pad full of notes from the many websites concerning home inspections, I decided to get into it.
The message boards from Inspection News and this board is where I got the "common sense" approach to home inspections.
NACHI is a progressive fast growing association which I am proud to be a member. Get involved, and stay involved. And learn as much as you possibly can before you step foot in the field.
I have heard great things about Midwest, AHIT, and ITA. But nothing beats spending time with an experienced inspector.
There are some great people on this board, and over at Inspection News. There are some pretty sour apples out there, as well. icon_wink.gif
There is no such thing as a stupid question. (Contrary to some beliefs.)
Learn, learn, and learn some more.
Good luck!

--
Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Michael M Djokovich

First of all a little background my nick is sort of an oxymorone or contradiction YOU see I’m allways smilin and have been known to do it while chewin yor a$% out or while I’m firing you and as far as my injury you has obviously never been severley injured in the neck or back as well as havin been injured twice in ten years I’m concidered a liability and as a hands and on can’t let you do it without me kinda guy I am resricted from 40 plus weeks down in the pits with my crew without risk of permenant and irepairable possibly paralyzing results ER: I shft my sails and I couldn’t agree more hands on with an experienced inspector is the way to go ( wanna Be A Millonare Take one out to Lunch) Find a role model emmulate and clone icon_surprised.gif guys sorry I din’t write to each individualy but I’m kinda busy

Does anyone have any leads on Job opps. arround the So.Jersey/ Philly area, Due to NJ’s legislature any opp’s outside in the tri-state will be welcomed maybe we can make a match ( ETA in NJ last week may '03)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Grumpy, nice to meet a fellow traveller out there !! I’m in the same boat as you, new to the industry and trying to get a start. For my money you have landed up on the web site for one of the best resourses for H.I. I have found the organization to be very helpfull and a hell of a lot of good advice is to be found on these pages. Good luck. Gerry