Hose bib location?

Anyone see any issue with where this hose bib is located?

http://nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10991&d=1177213162
(couldn’t figure out how to create a thumbnail for the pic)

I don’t think I would like it here but it may be okay.

couldnt pull the picture up

woohoo…I figured out how to post the attachment.

IM000451 (Small).JPG

Not safety or code-wise, no.

Thanks, Larry…

Just a stupid location.

What about the clearance to the condenser unit disconnect??

I think you’d have to try pretty hard to get water from that hose bib up the wall and into the box.

Hose Bibb said he was there first. ha. ha.

What is the black iron dead end pipe behind the left Condenser, and box in the siding?

Curious.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You may have a better argument with the disconnect appears that it is located behind the condenser unit. Working distance in front of the disconnect is incorrect. The disconnect is going to get wet and thats why the disconnect is usually weather tight type 3r enclosure. Just my 2 cents.

I was talking about the working clearance in front of the disconnect

Here is a side view. I think there is enough clearance.

IM000450 (Small).JPG

Marcel, the black pipe hanging down is the gas line drip leg. The gas meter is behind the left unit. The little box to the right of it, that is barely visible in the firsture picture, is a GFCI receptacle.

My only concern would be wether or not the three foot rule applies for equipment disconnects and if you have any snow in that area, it is right under the drip line.
Also, should the disconnect be rated NEMA 3SX instead of 3R? Given the local.

Sounds like a question to be answered by the Electrical Guru. ha. ha.

Marcel

Ralph it has to be a 30 inch wide by 36 inch deep working cleareance. The disconnect is not suppose to be located behind the condenser although I see it there all the time. It doesnt look like it meets these requirements in your picture.

Marcel, can you explain 3sx? Due to location?

James, the 3R enclosure is probably fine, that is what we use around here.
The only difference is what I highlighted in red.

**Type 3SX **Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt and windblown dust); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow); that provides an additional level of protection against corrosion; and for which the external mechanism(s) remain operable when ice laden.

[FONT=Arial][size=3]
**Type 3R **Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against access to hazardous parts; to provide a degree of protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against ingress of solid foreign objects (falling dirt); to provide a degree of protection with respect to harmful effects on the equipment due to the ingress of water (rain, sleet, snow); and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure.

Marcel:) :slight_smile:
[/FONT][/size]

Thanks marcel, I usaully only see type 3r also. But the information is great.

Thanks, James…

I heard today from an Electrician that when it comes to serviceable disconnects for equipment, that the 30" and 36" rule is not as stringent, and this set up would be acceptable.

Maybe an Electrician could chime in on this to clarify for us.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Marcel, this is one of those subjects that dont never go away and is disputed between many fields. I like to use wordage in my report that states as commonly seen in many homes including new construction the disconnect is located behind the disconnect. Recommended the disconnect not be installed behind the condenser unit or something like that. In my area the city inspectors also dont seam to have a problem with it although its clearly outlined that it shouldnt.