HOT TUB, No Extra Charge

Originally Posted By: psabados
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi guys

OK, after seeing all the other garbage going on with the electrical system, went back in to the shop area to look at the rest of the equipment.

Back in the center of the room, looked over the furnace and hot water heater. Water heater TPR had been leaking for along time. I saw an unusual looking vent fan in the wall

(Sorry, picture wont load-keeps linking to nachi.org page. Cant figure out whats wrong. Its a JPG. ??)

The vent stack had a rag stuffed into the clean-out. A vent fan was installed on the wall. First I thought may-be a paint booth or hobby room

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Pict0842.JPG

What the picture is showing is the back wall of a fiberglass tub enclosure, fan mounted right above it. Wired with 14-2, one leg used as a ground and the original 2 wire fan cord.

What I didn't get a picture of was the top of the ceiling. Cords laying over and in direct contact with copper water supply lines.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Pict0822.JPG

That's the vent fan viewed from the room. Couldn.t remove ceiling tiles to find other problems. It's not as bad as having a breaker box in that location, but I wouldn't want any of my friends or family using it.

Toilet and sink had problems, but the GFCI next to the sink was installed and working

Then the home owner decided he needed a kitchette installed right off the bathroom.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Pict0823.JPG

Hey whats the difference, hot tub, hot sink hot boxes. C'mon over to my house fella's you'll get a real charge out of it.

This is the kind of house that you wished you had a small production crew with camera's. A good 2 hours of video just on the electric

Watch what you touch out there people

Paul

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

When I have a picture posting problem that always takes me to NACHI.org, I usually find that I screwed up and had a “space” in the file name.

i.e "old house stairway.jpg" takes me to nachi.org

where "oldhousestairway.jpg" takes me to the picture.

Check your file names.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Thanks Erby

I will remember that next time

Paul

Originally Posted By: lcushwa

Paul,

Did you make note of the missing GFCI next to the small sink in your third pic:?:

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Lynn,

Oh, pleeeaze...I'm sure that the home owner ran the sink outlet downstream of the other GFCI's in the house ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) Why would you even check that? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Blaine

Originally Posted By: lcushwa

Blaine,

Are home owners that intelligent? I have my doubts. Therefore, I always test.

I would rather be safe, than sued later.

Lynn

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Help!!! Where is that sarcasm emoticon??? This was written tounge in cheek, with total sarcasm, so I tried it with this icon_rolleyes.gif . We obviously check any outlet we can see, and test anything for GFCI protection in places where GFCI’s should be located.

Blaine

Guess what?

No GFCI's on this system, two outlets within three feet of the sink center. The sink fills faster than it drains, 1" PVC piping into the wall below, who knows what's hidden? Only the homeowner and he's not talking ![eusa_shhh.gif](upload://mX1mo8qJZmqjpAoekG5Vaq3uYN4.gif)

Disclosure statement said basement was remodeled in the early 90's and with all the electrical conditions you know it wasn't permitted and inspected.

Divorce situation on the house sale. Wife not willing to make repairs or price adjustment. She really wants the house to go into foreclosure and ruin ex's credit. She couldn't understand why it took almost four hours to complete an inspection on a house with no problems in excellent move in condition.

The buyers agent had contractors come in a give estimates of repair on all of the problems here; roof, chimney, electrical, exterior doors etc. So far totaling over 15K, and they still haven't come up with a good way to vent the basement bathroom.

Oh well, the beat goes on

Paul