Hurricane Garage Door Bracing

If you see a garage door that looks like this but is missing the rating sticker, and every other opening in the house is hurricane compliant how do you proceed?

If they cannot product the compliance documents for the door do you fail them on what is obviously a compliant garage door?

Was that the sticker maybe on the right side of the yellow sticker on the left? Can’t really see it clear from here but I usually find it there.

Another thing to look for is a product number, serial number or model number somewhere on the door and then look for the information on the Miami-Dade County Website to search for a NOA.

Bert

Thanks Bert, I’m just asking a “what if” question. This did have a sticker but I’m looking to find out what to do if it is obviously compliant but the sticker is removed. So, record what you can off the door and then search for compliance, download that, add it to the report.

I bet a lot of inspectors just stop at sticker/no sticker. Is this an area where a surcharge would be justified for researching compliance?

Yes, I always search for compliance when in doubt. I personally don’t charge for doing an online search. I’ve already most likely charged for the wind mit so it’s just part of my service to the client.

Bert

Agree with Bert, look for serial numbers or model information. Google becomes your best friend. However if you cant find any info calmly explain to your client the reason you can’t give an A rating for the garage door and if they have the original contract to call the door provider. 9 times out of 10 they garage door company can email you the info over. Verify it and you give the proper rating. Worst case scenario you can choose N. Appears to be A or B but not verified. Under the caption put Appears Rated No Documentation.

Hope this helps

I suppose these steps are only necessary if all other openings are compliant or would you do this research even if the other openings were not A rated?

Not really, if all the other openings are X I just look for a sticker. Don’t go hell over high water to find it. I only do that if this opening is standing in between them and their credit.

Makes sense! Thanks.

Michael, sorry I didnt write you back yesterday. That 16d nail was a roof jack. When they installed the roof, since it was a steep pitch 6:12 or 7:12. They install jacks to hold up materials. The roofer will hammer them in when they are ready to shingle over it. You will see 2 to 3 16d nails next to each other if they went through as a shiner. You will see them about two to three rafters apart in the same area. And this was a community in the polo area of Sarasota county. Cant remember the name.

Cool thanks. Check out the 5:00 min mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7kzMUce0k I’m guessing that is what was being discussed.

If they don’t have a sticker but they plan to get one from the door manufacturer and send it to you, can you submit the wind mit as is for the customer’s insurance quoting purposes and then adjust/resubmit once they send you the sticker/label?

check PM

Correct, remember your doing the wind mit so the insured can get qouted for insurance. I will always send it in as is. Then update it if they usually miss like one thing. I have had some where all windows and doors met A. except the front door which was X. They call me up in a couple weeks after shuttering it with an approved shutter system, rating goes to A or B, depends on what they do.

To me that door is super hurricane compliant… being a licenced garage door guy and person that has installed and repaired 1000’s of doors… I can say that thing has more struts than about any non insulated door I have ever seen… I went to the door manufacturer one day … and he said in Florida you add a strut or two… That thing has a strut on every panel… if it is a 16 foot door (standard) than that right there is perhaps overkill… to me its like why not just put a solid door in… the main things to look for with garages are solid safety sensors 1 or 2 depending on the model… and door operation… To me force test is a recipe for disaster for home inspectors … seriously take it from some one who knows… Unless you know how to do a door reset… because you could crash the door… and God for bid you have the freaking slide lock engaged and you push the button… This happened once about 15 years ago… it folded the Brand spanking new door right in half… why… IMPROPER FORCE SETTING… and complacency… check for obstructions to travel… check that sensors are not rigged or jumped out… check manual travel if you are brave dont slide the door really fast and unspool it though… just check for a nice balance at waist level… a door that does not fall or rise while in manual mode… Also check springs first and then go into manual when the door is in the down position. Well I had a site that I built to answer your garage door questions but google freaking crashed it again… so if you have anything you need to know about doors… And I mean anything let me know I can answer your questions… p.s. Also people dont always put the sticker on the door… I did but I was the owner of the company… Many employees do what they want and this doesnt always include the safety stickers… the critical ones next to bottom brackets under tension … and near springs or on springs…hope that helps :slight_smile:

I didnt realize you needed sticker for compliance with wind mitigation… yet if you cannot make the door more strong then how could the door be more compliant…? A sticker does not make the door more safe the struts do… and honestly instead of struts they should just use a steel backed door and strut that… but of course why do things that make sense… when you can save 10% $$$ and get a door that is far inferior in terms of strength and long term durability… Law is for the purpose of protection when we are not honest it becomes a burden to us… The sticker is irrelevant… again you cant really make that door have more tensile strength across its span and I think thats the point… I have yet to take wind mitigation course please tell me if I left anything out…

Download DASMA 167 & 115

In all cases, you need to read the NOA to determine if the bucking has been properly attached. You can have the strongest door in the world, if the bucking isn’t attached right it’s worthless.

The door must be tested and certified by Miami Dade county as impact rated. No rating, no credit. It is that simple. While you may be right in what you are saying, the insurance company make the rules. In lie of the sticker on the door, permits can be used, if one was pulled. But, with out the permit the door is not FBC compliant, as a permit is required for its installation.

Toby - your website link goes to a realtors page. Why is that?

He is a featured partner. Omega garage door repair.