I-Beam Too Short

What is that saying again measure twice, cut once

Lol I like how the bottom says “top”

This builder must works upside down…

My guess is it was marked for the bolts alignment.

Why is there a 2x8 running on top of the I beam ?

The 2x8 on top is called a nailer plate. Very common here in new construction.

Yes, standard around here too, and the plate usually gets through bolted with 3/8" bolts 24" staggered on the beam. :slight_smile:

Why is the nailer plate actually needed when they could have simply made the I beam sit taller?
The wood can have issues but the steel will not and the function is to hold up those floor joists.

Is it because they want to be able to cut the nailer plate to create more height for ducts,etc than the joists alone would give them between the sub floor and I beam ?
I hope it is not there to hold the two I beam sections in place…:slight_smile:

Since the Engineered Joist from two different bays meet on the beam, a bolted beam sill allows the nailing of the joist and helps to keep the beam plumb while framing, and yes Bob it allows for a route access for plumbing pipes, electrical and etc…
The beam actually helps to eliminate some of the lally columns, since it can span further.
Having messed up on the beam length, created an additional column that now sits on the floor most likely. :slight_smile:

OK thanks Marcel.
Always good to have a more in depth understanding.

:)The only sacrafice is the headroom where the beam is.

The beam being too short is nothing more than shoddy poor workmanship.

Yeah ,see what you mean.
1 1/2 " could mean 7 foot or 6’8" ceiling height.

Same here, see it all the time.

I see your point but when the tin bashers come in they will be lower then the beam anyway. Add in the material to frame it and you will be lucky to get 6’8". I have cut hundreds of doors down to fit under these.

Assuming the footer to support the two columns is present or wide enough, i dont think the fact the beams are not connected will make much of a difference . Of course we can/ should call out that it apparently does not meet the intended design.

What I see all the time is more like this or all wood beams with no nailing plate on those either of course.
New construction I see is almost always 100% dry walled and I never do draw inspection.

Need to dig and see if I can even find a nailing plate shot but good to know .
Not much different from a sill plate in one sense.

021180084_sprd.jpg

thCAZKGR98.jpg

th.jpg
:slight_smile:

Good reference

Just a few methods I used in the past. Sometimes I can’t find them. ;):slight_smile:

Measure once… cut… ooops… where is the i-beam stretcher?

Too funny!

Charlotte Home Inspector