Ice & Water Shield - New Constrction - Illinois

Originally Posted By: rdean
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can a roofing expert please advise me of the proper installation of ice & water shield.

What I am finding, in a new construction environment, is where the material actually bends over the fascia several inches.

This, of course, is covered then with aluminum fascia trim. Gutters are then installed.

If this was correct, what would the proper installation be when the fascia would be cedar or hardyboard and not covered with aluminum?

If you have a photo or website for viewing, that would be great!

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Richard,

I see no problem with the ice & water sheild extending down onto the fascia, it would offer added protection to the sheathing/fascia interface.

If no alminum wrap is used then the membrane would only extend an inch down the fascia so as to be covered by the drip edge flashing.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

I believe I said this before.

Gerry is correct in his statement, and to add to that, it is also proper to install the drip edge on the roof substrate and then apply the ice and water shield on top of it.
It is also a standard to install the ice and water shield first and draping down the fascia if covered by another fascia component.
If the drip edge is installed over the ice and water shield, a 6" vycor should be applied on top to seal the aluminum drip edge and the ice and water shield.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Right on MArcel and Gerry, and you should always refer to the manufactures installation instructions.

Joe ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)