Illegal Recessed Incandescent Fixtures

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

___________________________ ?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: tallen

Come on now Joe I bet you made that yourself icon_lol.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Not Me! icon_lol.gif

This was one of about 6 found in the kitchen of a single family dwelling.

Quote:
If this was allowed to remain there may have been a serious fire!

For UL Listed fixtures, the thermal device has been required since 1984 in series with the recessed fixture "lampholder" and was an effort to minimize fires where over sized bulbs were installed in this type of recessed fixture.

HI "Visual" Language? ________________________________________

--

Evidence of amateur wiring at kitchen lights. Resulting in a Possible fire hazard (in bold print). Therefore, I recommend evaluation by a licensed electrician as soon as possible.

Picture goes here---->

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Is that what they mean by can light icon_question.gif

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

Where have you guys been??? Juan Valdez moved to Halo’s design department! icon_biggrin.gif

“Prices subject to change with customers additude”

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

that would be funny if it was not that dangerous, I think Todd nailed the write-up pretty well, Heck everyone knows that it should have been a decaf can ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess that is what Maxwell House was looking at when they came out with their new “Lite” coffee. Boy these guys are smart! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Kevin Blackwell

Joe I guest no matter how long you inspect home there’s always something we have not seen yet.

Speaking on safety issue what be the required clearance for a florescence light fixture in a cloth closet to the wall?

Also Joe were would 18 gauge wiring be use for interior lighting and can it be routed behind wall and insulation?
Thx Kevin from Houston,Texas

Kevin Blackwell wrote:
Joe I guest no matter how long you inspect home there's always something we have not seen yet.

Speaking on safety issue what be the required clearance for a florescence light fixture in a cloth closet to the wall?

Also Joe were would 18 gauge wiring be use for interior lighting and can it be routed behind wall and insulation?
Thx Kevin from Houston,Texas

Kevin: Here's a diagram of the requirements, and the use of 18 AWG for interior lighting behind the wall is not permitted. Is it low voltage?
![](upload://sjU2LT4IaH4kaAkjN9lqsKbxCbi.jpeg)

--

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

John,

Joe is gona get you for saying UL approved. He got me last week. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Quote:
Look for the UL Mark Identification of UL Listed and Classified Products

The symbol and the name ??Underwriters Laboratories Inc.?? in various forms and abbreviations are
registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and in numerous other countries. Subject to the
terms of UL?s Follow-Up Service Agreement, companies are permitted to use the symbol or other
specified forms of UL?s name as part of the UL Mark on products which are Listed or Classified and which
comply with UL?s requirements.

The product name as indicated in the General Guide Information for each product category is generally
included as part of the UL Mark, but may be omitted when, in UL?s opinion, the use of the name is
unnecessary and the UL Mark is directly and permanently applied to the product by stamping, molding,
ink-stamping, silk screening or similar processes.
A separable UL Mark (not part of a nameplate and in the form of decals, stickers or labels) will always
include the following four elements: UL?s symbol , the word ??LISTED?? or ??CLASSIFIED,?? the
product or category name, and a control number assigned by UL.

The complete UL Mark will appear on the product unless otherwise indicated in the General Guide
Information for a specific product category.

When a UL Listed product is of such a size, shape, material or surface texture that, in UL?s opinion, it is
impossible to apply legibly the complete marking to the product, the complete UL Listing Mark will
appear on the smallest unit container in which the product is packaged. In these cases UL may authorize
the use of the UL symbol on the product in addition to the complete UL Mark on the package.

When a UL Classified product is of such a size, shape, material or surface texture that, in UL?s opinion, it
is impossible to apply legibly the complete marking to the product, the complete UL Classification Mark
will appear on the smallest unit container in which the product is packaged. In these cases there shall be
no reference to UL on the product.

Refer to the General Guide Information for each product category for additional information on the
specific UL Mark for the products in the category.

Identification of UL Listed Products

The UL Listing Mark generally includes the UL symbol or it may include other registered forms as
authorized by UL. The UL Listing Mark includes: (1) the UL symbol shown below; (2) the word ??LISTED??;
(3) the product identity; and (4) a control number assigned by UL.

--

Joe T.,

Now put it in layman's terms. Is there a problem with me mentioning UL in my reports?

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Lights are not required to be listed.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

So how should it have been worded?

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

I would just eliminate the UL reference. Lights are required to be approved (acceptable to the AHJ), and there is not an AHJ in the world that would approve this. icon_smile.gif

Remeber that if something is listed, the listing requirements must be followed.[NEC 110.3(B)]

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

O.K. Agree. Deleted it from my post.

John:

"UL Approved" is the issue, we never say that instead we say "UL Listed" or something such as "Qualified Electrical Testing Laboratory" so all you had to change was "Approved" to "Listed", etc.

Your doing good, keep it up we'll make an electrical inspector out of you soon!

--

Ryan J. & Joe T.

Sorry guys, I need further clarification.

Ryan states - "Lights are not required to be listed".

Joe T. states - "so all you had to change was "approved" to "listed".

Another question - Would it be approved or listed with the term "Qualified Electrical Testing Laboratory"?

I'm at a standstill and confused. I think I should just take the lights and throw them in the trash and act like I never saw them. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) which is the best thing to do anyways.