Imapct Rated?

My understanding is that impact rated windows break similar to a vehicle windshield, how many people do you think, that since they paid the extra (10’s or more of thousands of dollars) for ‘impact rated’ windows are going to be pissed when a high wind event occurs and windows are broken (although the structure is still protected by the window) and clients think that the windows they paid for were ‘break proof’ then they have to shell out $1000’s of more dollars to replace impact windows? Does anyone recommend installing shutters over impact?

Impact rated glass does not break like a windshield, as it shouldn’t. It holds together much stronger if heat strengthened or standard annealed glass is used. Tempered glass and car windshields are safety glass…different function.

If it breaks, that’s what wind insurance is for.:cool:

So impact rated glass can’t be broken?

I’ve seen several instances of impact rated windows or especially doors with shutters installed.

Of course it can be broken…It’s glass not lexan.

I’m just bringing up what the snowbirds are most likely thinking when they come down here. Lexan is not bulletproof either… well… depending how thick and how big the ‘bullet’ is :mrgreen:.

Yes it can be broken, it just does not come apart like windshield glass and allow an opening into the home. The idea is to not allow pressure and elements into the structure. Windshield and/or safety glass is designed to crumble into tiny pieces when broken so you do not get stabbed with a piece of glass. Impact glass is designed to shatter but remain intact inside the window frame, therefore still keeping the elements out.
Check out this video

%between%

I called this out last week…

That’s impressive! Thanks

What did they install windows instead of doors?

It was living room windows…

Found another set of these doors with a label yesterday.
They are made by Acadian Ironworks.
www.acadianironworks.com

Pretty sweet they include the Florida Approval Number on their website :smiley:

Yes Sir :wink: