Inspirational Poll

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

When the question was "inspirational" you could reply yes. I am assuming you meant "religious" and voted accordingly.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe it appears that some can’t tell the difference.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I am not of the belief that “inspirational” means solely religious. Zig Ziglar is an example. Zig is all business and nearly everything he says pertains to home inspections. But “inspirational” is in the eye of the reader. Many religious-posts are inspirational to me and I haven’t been to church in years.

I think we should influence that thread and everything else we do with posts rather than censorship, namely because there is no one and no criteria for censorship.

It appears to have gone off topic...like other threads sometimes do.

Remember, the inspirational thread is already invisible to those who don't want to read it...and from the number of views, it looks like a lot of us read it.

Nick

Originally Posted By: gbell

Point Taken.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: mbailey

How about adding “Inspirational/Motivational” as part of the message board categories rather than just a thread?

Right now with 7-8 pages under one thread the current topic is quite long for one to go through.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

I second Mark’s motion.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rking

I second Nick’s second of Mark’s motion.

If you don’t like it don’t read it, I do not anymore and that is just my personal choice, I have too many other things to learn about inspections first!

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”

Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Hi all,

Why is it the no’s are ahead are you guys forcing them to read it? Not that I do, all the time, but what of it if I did at least it’s there and if it helps someone than more power to it!

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I would have no problem with an inspirational/motivational forum, except that these topics inevitably lead to religion. We are not a religious association. In fact, section A 4 of NACHI’s Code of Ethics states:

Quote:
The NACHI Inspector will not discriminate in any business activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, sexual orientation, or handicap and shall comply with all federal, state and local laws concerning discrimination.

In matters of faith, one is almost always forced to argue from an "I'm right and you're wrong" standpoint. To many, this can feel like discrimination. How would a prospective NACHI member, who happens to be Jewish, feel if he saw a group of our members toting Christianity as the only true religion? For that matter, how would a current NACHI member feel in this situation? Topics that are religiously and/or politically charged always leave someone feeling attacked. People end up angry and hurt, and often friendships are strained or broken. That is not what this association is about. I've watched NACHI grow into an amazing community of people who, instead of competing, help each other in every way they can. We are what makes NACHI, and these charged posts affect how NACHI is portrayed. There is a time and a place for religious, political, social debates, but the place is not here. NACHI's Code of Ethics also states (section C 2):

Quote:
The NACHI Inspector shall assist the NACHI leadership in disseminating and publicizing the benefits of NACHI membership.

Do we want to publicize NACHI, and this message board in particular, as an organization and place where some people are not welcome? NACHI's message board is unquestionably the most popular message board in the home inspection industry. Let's keep it that way.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://f82KvjAEeI6NB5YglBtQhXRqcOe.html)

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

From an ethical standpoint, there is a huge gap between spouting the benefits of any religion, and the provisions of any section of the COE. The COE specifically frowns upon discrimination by a member in any business practice. Posting messages on this BB is not a business practice.

As to a members duty to NACHI and to the HI industry, again, posting messages on the BB doesnt necessarily translate into negatives by a single person toward NACHI or the HI industry.

So, what to do... what to do...

Move it to the member's only section. You want to call it inspirational, fine. You want to call it inflamatory, fine. You want to call it Basketball, fine. Just keep it out of the non-NACHI member's eyes.

We like a no-censorship policy. I like the ability to push Willian and Russel a bit. They like to spout all sorts of...stuff. Fine. We can have our cake and eat it too. Move the thread, if we dont want to kill it. Just do SOMETHING with it...

Originally Posted By: rray

. . .

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

Joe,

I'm not saying that our CoE forbids this type of discussion. I was simply drawing on it to make a point. I do think that the second quote is somewhat pertinent to this issue, but let's not get into that. What I'm saying (and this is coming from Chris Morrell, a 5 year member of NACHI, not Chris Morrell, Director of IT) is that this type of discussion hurts the organization as a whole. Moving it to members-only will help, but I think that it affects our members as well as non-members.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://f82KvjAEeI6NB5YglBtQhXRqcOe.html)

Chris,

Point well taken

Joe

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

That the issue has been cast in this light truly saddens me.

That the thread has degraded to namecalling also saddens me.

I just came from the ASHI message board.

The moderator has decided to delete the ASHI Branding Forum. Some members have been rather vocal in their opposition to branding and now that Forum will soon be gone. No choice, no vote. Just gone.

I really admired both Will & Russel for their ability to post inspriational messages without personally attacking each other. Some of the rest of us chimed in from time to time, but it seemed primarily Will & Russell posting neat stuff.

If it offends you, don't read it. Nothing makes you click on that thread. NOTHING. No one is forced to read it, but it's there for those of us who chose to read it.

I REALLY HATE THE CENSORSHIP IDEA. FORGET IT!

If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't try to control what others want to post and read.

It doesn't seem that it's Will or Russell making an issue of it belonging. They want to post stuff that they find personally inspirational.

It's a miscellaneous discussion topic. Leave it alone.

Don't follow the censorship already imposed on one other board and soon to be imposed on another board.

If you don't like, it don't read it. Ignore it.

Move it if you have to, but don't delete it or stop it.

Keep this the OPEN forum.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Erby,

I think the concensus is that the thred is fine, but shouldnt be where it is. Since anyone can visit our board, including realtors and clients, perhaps it's a better idea to move it to a member's only section.

Joe

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Amen (no pun intended)

We can each go back and delete our own old posts if we want. I just don’t think anyone of us should delete or move another’s post.

There are 3 threads on this board which I find offensive...none of the 3 are the inspirational thread. Most reading this would be surprised to learn which 3 they are at first. On the surface they don't appear to be offensive. I'd have to explain why I find them offensive. Shall we start deleting every thread someone finds offensive? Maybe we can start banning people. Perhaps we can all wear brown shirts and make book bonfires.

Erby, I'm pleased you let us know that ASHI's moderator took offense to the Branding Forum and deleted the entire thread. That could only happen in pre WWII Germany and at ASHI...not here.

Who of us can say the damage to NACHI that would result in veering from an open message board to one censored by majority vote... is less than or more than... the damage to NACHI caused by permitting offensive posts?

Freedom comes at a price... let's pay it.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

ecrofutt wrote:
That the issue has been cast in this light truly saddens me.

That the thread has degraded to namecalling also saddens me.

I just came from the ASHI message board.

The moderator has decided to delete the ASHI Branding Forum. Some members have been rather vocal in their opposition to branding and now that Forum will soon be gone. No choice, no vote. Just gone.

I REALLY HATE THE CENSORSHIP IDEA. FORGET IT!

Don't follow the censorship already imposed on one other board and soon to be imposed on another board.

If you don't like, it don't read it. Ignore it.

Move it if you have to, but don't delete it or stop it.

Keep this the OPEN forum.

I was one who's posts were deleted on the ASHI board, and agree with Erby, keep this board open.

When the 'Inspirational' thread became weird to me, I merely stooped reading it, I have seen it grow from there and was never tempted to go back and see what I was missing.

I am a simple man who tries to live by two simple rules;
1). Whatever you commit to doing, do it.
2). If it don't belong to you, don't touch it.
These two rules embody the application of the 'Golden Rule' and allow one to be a citizen of the world and freely operate in a diverse society.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn