Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
I’m leaning your way but for now let me play Devil’s Advocate for a minute. Please answer these questions, they are simple questions:
1. How is Joe Ferry's advice any different than any other advice? Does his license mean his advice is helpful, but other advice is not? Should all advice that could possibly help a non-member be moved?
2. Our agreement is useless to non-members and isn't password protected to keep non-members from enjoying it so much as it is to keep non-members from accidently using it. If anything, consumers should have access to it as they do our Standards of Practice. No?
3. All members are non-members till they join. How would non-members know anything about NACHI if we keep it all vested? Why would someone know to pay to join something they can't see.
4. Are you at all afraid of the slippery slope. First we move legal thread into members-only section. Then we move inspirational. Then we move Iggy's pics. Then we move marketing advice. Then we move Nations Hazard. Then we move... pretty soon we have a great members-only section no one knows about. How will invisibility increase membership?
5. If all the member-only benefits don't entice an inspector to join, will the additional promise of being able to view the legal thread change their mind?
6. There are already plenty of member-only benefits. How can a non-member spend $289 running a newspaper ad and say it was better spent than joining NACHI and enjoying all the marketing NACHI does for its members. If such an idiot exists, do we really want him at NACHI?
7. Who decides what threads stay an what threads go?. If a fellow member starts a thread, even a free-advice-to-non-members-thread, and everyone visits and posts on it, does another equal member have the right to move it?
8. Will anyone with a law degree be banned from giving inspectors advice on the open-to-all sections of this board?
9. What do you think makes this message board the most active and popular board in the home inspection industry? Is it the nice light blue background? What is it that allowed us to pass up every other board?