Interesting Day- Freakin Carpenters

This is a mangement problem. If someone screws up another trade’s work on one of my wife’s houses they get a back charge and it will stick. There might even be a little penalty money in there. It costs a production builder somewhere between $300 and $500 a day for a house to sit. The same accountant who came up with that number writes the checks.
Pretty soon people start being more careful.

BRILLENT Paul!

But then, this is NACHI! :mrgreen:

Not to make to big a point.

We don’t have this problem in the Chicago area.

One word.

EMT :cool:

Nuff Said!

Will

EMT is good but at what cost??

Remember a nail or screw into a cable will show up some day and normally the home will not burn down

Just a little scary

rlb

But what I bet you have ALOT is “Objectionable Currents” and improperly bonded service conduits and so on. I would LOVE to get up to Illinois and snap some images of some services.

As I started doing my G & B seminars…I found out HOW bad it is getting on the many systems. it is actually starting to frighten me with what i am seeing in regards to conduit systems in the past few days.

Gosh…I read the title of this thread and thought it would involve conversation on 70’s singing groups with eating disorders. (sigh) Oh, well. Bon apetite…

Point taken, and touche’, Paul.

When you come up here, for your education class, come up a day early. I will show you all the issues areound here.

Again, we have to remember that NACHI is nationwide. Many different AHJs, with many different reasons for different standards.

This is not a ‘one size fits all’ situation.

Double Dog Dare Ya, guy. :mrgreen:

Will,

I would simply LOVE it…bad news is I think TOM has me running off somewhere else the very next day and plans all my flights so chances are I would not make it up a day early.

Their is always a good side and a bad side to different electrical systems, I find that while the advantage of EMT and so on helps to protect the wire, it happens to increase the potential for other issues in the complexity of understanding grounding and bonding which I believe is the MOST important part of the NEC as I have started doing these G & B seminars and learning more and more…I simply CAN’T settle my mind now as my knowledge is expanding so much…and 2002 NEC made it better, 2005 makes it even more better and from what i hear 2008 will clear UP many of the myths in how the concepts are applied.

What I need to do is possibly get up your way for a chapter meeting which i will plan the flights and so on and we can take a little tour of your area with my cam in tow…I am finding SO many violations with Conduit in the past week it is simply amazing.

Nice post Marcel, Some Carpenters care about their work, Me being one of them.

and CHUCK as a Electrician in the field working I THANK YOU for the pride in your work. Sad to say with cheap labor and so on it is not always the case as I witnessed day before yesterday.

I am SO thankful the owner wanted to MOVE the recess lights or otherwise it would have been a total mess on the final because we simply would have been hard pressed to find this problem…and possibly before it was too late and this is a 2 million dollar home.

Will, how does EMT keep the rocker from roto-zipping the conductors in the box?
BTW EMT will not stop a determined person with a carbide tipped tool, nor will it stop a TEK screw. I have found TEK screws in raceways in steel framed buildings.

No conductors in the box. :slight_smile:

Or to have fun with the sheetrocker, blank them all off.

tom

Yeah,… saves them from measuring to locate the cut out. lol

Come to think about it I did see a situation one time in a municple inspection I was doing where a TapCon screw was driven into the main service riser and well lucky enough it had not contacted anything…YET anyway.

This post was eating at me all day Paul. I value your knowledge and expertise. I work with an Electrician on a regular basis and he has many jobs where the subs just tear up his work.
I did an addition years ago where the electrican ripped into me about my crew screwing through a wire. Before any diagnosis of the problem, he wanted to rip half the finished walls out. Me being the diplomatic carpenter that I am, I told him to check his work 1st. We found that he had a loose wire. So sometimes it isn’t always the carpenter.

lol…but you have to understand my statement originally…My work was done well before they added these blocks and you also need to know how ANAL I about or electrical projects.

It is one of those things where…you just have to PRAY this is the only incident and it was DEVINE FATE that the client wanted to move the recess and it was found…and crossing the fingers never hurts.

This is the problem more so in homes that get the home owner who is VERY involved and never have their minds made up from day one, they added these blocks 2 months after rough in inspection was done and who knows what else they added…:slight_smile:

I know Paul, I can understand your frustration. Been throught hat many times. You’ll find out soon, Good luck with that one