Interesting wiring method

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Hello Ryan:

Glad to see you come aboard!
You will have the ability to post some of your pictures here.

All right Joe, but careful what you wish...

![](upload://xQNsMkJyly0WVR3L9Jtl28nT9A7.jpeg) LOL. In all seriousness Joe, thanks for the invitation and also for the welcome. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Thank you Ryan:

I am sure we will see some of the items you discover, and although some home inspectors may look at some new construction, we want to focus more on existing dwellings that are being sold and require an inspection.

The picture above, you must tell us the story here, no doubt that was done by someone who was not familiar with the wiring method required for this type of installation.

I always try to avoid using code speak language here, but do try to make myself as clear as possible when explaining what is wrong. This board is similar to the others, and we will always see a reply somtimes not in line with the discussion.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Welcome Ryan,

Now how did you guys get into my garage. What you don't like my strike plates? They were fairly cheap and easy to install. A lot cheaper then conduit. Besides you won't see them after I install my 1/4" paneling.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

What I want to know is…Why would they install this panel upside down?

And why didn't they install this panel in the same 16" cavity where the SE wire penetrates the wall?

There...much better! I even adjusted the outlet. It was too high.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Dave,

The answer is obvious. If they installed it in the same cavity as the service wire, they wouldn't have 30" clearance at the side ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

Suppose that wire was bought on the clearance rack at the big orange, marked down for a missing jacket?????????

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

David

It has to be in that first stud space. (EDIT) Wrong I did not see that this was a disconnect service.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Mike,

This does not have a disconnect in it. The disconnect must be outside.

Is that what you were saying?

![](upload://wW8ac8y5YKOJMWtrw4SSwcYBMSD.jpeg)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Looks like a Main Lug Only (MLO) sub-panel in a garage. I would assume there is (or should be) a breaker in the service panel for that, which would protect the feeder wires too.

But those feeder wires should be in conduit all the way to the panel (looks like the conduit may stop at the wall). Running plain conductors inside a stud wall space is not an acceptable wiring method (IRC/NEC) ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Dave ... There is nothing wrong with the orientation of the panel, and it would only be an issue if there was a main breaker/disconnect (MD) with down as the on/energized position. Even if it's a panel with an MD, many (not all) are made with the main disconnect operating left/right, so it really doesn't matter there either if that is at the top or bottom ...

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Adding to what Robert said, most also have ‘LINE’ ‘LINE’ and ‘LOAD’ ‘LOAD’ stamped one above the other (two ‘LINE’ or two ‘LOAD’) with each upside down to the other, so that which every end is up, ‘LINE’ and ‘LOAD’ will be right side up so it can be read properly.

![](upload://E7FG4G9aTUcTVxkEYMWReFldbu.jpeg)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Harold Endean

Just my 2 cents. That service would not pass an electrical inspection for several reasons. The service panel is too far away from the incoming line and it should have been moved closer to the incoming line. There had better be a main breaker outside otherwise, it would fail for that reason too. Also the wiring method is not a UL listed cable assembly or pipe which would also make the job fail. The orientation of the panel may or may not be an issue. Some panels are UL listed to be installed in either direction.

Harold

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jerry

Yes.

This could have easily been done if the conduit had been run on the outside then entered the building.

The above wires must be in the same raceway (conduit).

And electricians wonder why their work has to be inspected.

Harold a note. If there is a disconnect outside the panel can be located farther than the nearest point of entry.

Mike P.

The main thing that needs is for the feeder conductors to be installed in conduit.

Assuming, of course, that there is a main disconnect outside.

Actually, the "main thing" that needs is a "qualified" electrician to re-do it ... and very carefully inspect everything else the person who installed that did.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Hi guys. This was an owner-builder job, as you might have guessed. There was indeed a main disconnect on the exterior.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City