InterNACHI member/CMI selected to RESNET infrared task force. Congrats Phillip!

http://www.nachi.org/resnet2008.htm

Congrats Phil…Good luck in your project.

Phil,congratulations and all the best.

Phil is a graduate of the InterNACHI Infrared Certified Training course.
He is a great guy and will add valuable insight to the process.
Congrats Phil…!

Congrats!!

Keep us posted :slight_smile:

Kevin

I was sent a copy of the European Standards for Thermal Performance of Buildings today to use as a benchmark for the process. This is a licensed and copyrighted copy so I can’t quote anything directly. It appears Europe is way ahead of us on this stuff as it was adopted in 1998. It is specific to the infrared methods.

The scope is based on qualitative detection of thermal irregularities in the building envelope. The methods used are to identify wide variations in thermal properties including air tightness and components in the building system. Other methods for comfirmation are suggested such as blower door testing but not required.

The procedures address climate factors, building components, influences, and capabilities of the thermographic equipment. The emissivity of the surfaces are taken from provided charts. Seperate procedures are provided for air leakage opposed to insulation examination.

They address the use of “reference” thermograms as a means of comparison under similar conditions …I love that idea. They have a small library of images in the standards that cover specific defects.

I live near Oak Ridge National Labs and have seen their building envelope testing models for all types of materials, construction types and how moisture and energy performance change through the structure. Imagine having a catalog of thermogram images based on certain conditions to use as a benchmark for thermal performance as well as other defects.

They use the term “deliberate defects” to describe construction related defects…I’m sure builders love that.

This all very good information that I’m only just begining to examine and will provide more later. I appreciate the positive comments and look forward to giving you more details and welcome all your input. There are many good people and professionals here at InterNachi …and I would love to see many of you make a profitable living off these new opportunities for IR / Thermography.

" This is a licensed and copyrighted copy so I can’t quote anything directly. It appears Europe is way ahead of us on this stuff as it was adopted in 1998. It is specific to the infrared methods. "

Phil,

I look forward to working with you on the RESNET committee. We’ve been at it for several months and, I believe, are headed in good directions.

I would take exception to your comment, quoted above. I’m not sure exactly which standard you refer to but believe it is probably the British version of “ISO 6781 Thermal insulation – Qualitative detection of thermal
irregularities in building envelopes – Infrared method.” This standard can be obtained off the web for a nominal fee. It IS copyrighted and should not be duplicated without payment as this is one of the ways ISO makes some money to keep running.

While European thermography may be ahead of us in some ways, mainly the requirements for using it in buildings, the ISO standard has changed little since 1983 when it was first adopted; that too was the first year I used the technology for buildings work.

As an industry we need to move carefully to insure that all work being done is to accepted industry standards by qualified personnel. With the advent of low cost cameras and the market hype around “certification,” the path forward is rocky at best. The RESNET standard could go a long way to clarifying these issues for our profession; I look forward to having the viewpoint of the home inspector represented on the committee.

Thermally Yours,

John Snell
ASNT NDT Level III #48166
The Snell Group

http://www.IRTalk.com

800-636-9820 Phone
802-229-9820 Phone

John,

I look forward to working with you as well. I think the input from the home/building inspection profession will provide some great insight into qualifying the images and conditions found in a building envelope. I’m certainly not a scientist or have the infrared technical knowledge you have but as a ICC certified preservation and housing code inspector with infrared training and application experience …I can contribute to evaluating some of the building conditions that a thermographer may encounter. I’m also an EDI (Exterior Design Institute ) certified EIFS inspector and moisture analyst. I find the infrared techniques to be more challenging in these structures. I’m curious as to how they will be handled in the standards.

Yes…your are correct on the standard I was sent. It is the ISO 678:1983, British Standard. My comment that they “appear to be way ahead” refers to the time frame…no insult intended. I understand that Europe has significantly higher energy costs than we do and have responded under those conditions.

I’ll send you my e-mail and phone number and look forward to learning a great deal from you.

Phil Henderson