Introduction & hoping for FL market information

John
How long have you been in business?

I’ll start as a one-man operation as I enjoy the aspect of working for oneself as a solid reputation gets built. I’d be open to joining a company as well. At this point I’m learning what I can and open to things.

After looking into most of the reporting software mentioned on other threads and sources I like what HomeGuage offers, and I plan on collecting data and reporting from a tablet in field with small vids, pix and voice notes. Until I become proficient enough with the software and extremely comfortable with my verbiage - I’ll plan on transferring the reports from cloud to my laptop where the report can be finished at home and sent. Both pdf as well as a multimedia link are offered. This software seemed to be the most in tune with what I had in mind. I will certainly print if needed, but prefer the report be a self navigable multimedia experience for the user.

I’ve heard great things about the GE Surveymaster w & w/o pin - BLD5360L and at nearly $400. I’ve read countless problems with cheaper alternatives. I have most of the other required tools in my arsenal already, and am sure I’ll find a new pair of cougar paws or something similar on my feet shortly. I’ve always thought that quality tools are a large part of doing any job with quality. But within reason of fiscal responsibility of course. And tools and systems can always expand if the need arises enough times.

Seven years doing inspections

Hi John. Nice website - brand look and content-wise. Good on you.

So you think he should learn from the pizza makers and not the dough makers?:stuck_out_tongue:

Reality is that others have been in his shoes and have moved forward, why not learn from their mistakes? The time and money spent doing is wasted until you find what works. You seem to be advocating that he relive those mistakes or not strive to be more. There is nothing wrong with being a one man shop, unless you want more, I have been both. Care to guess which is better?

Just last night I had a conversation with a single inspector who would not be repeating mistakes had he listened early. He now is following the advice given to him months ago.

Join one of the “marketing groups” and meet the “big” inspectors and you will begin to understand. You can work in your business or on your business, the choice is yours.

If I wanted to have have employees and deal with all the associated hassles I would have opened a pizza shop.

I have a killer pizza recipe of my own creation that everyone who has had it agrees.

No thanks.

I will keep my one man operation and pizza recipe mine.

that is great if that is what you want or want to believe.

I’d see value of learning both from the inspector who owns and operates as well as the one who runs a larger inspection outfit. Or pizza shop. Or ad agency. Or… Perspectives are welcome. All of them. Thanks.

John you seem to think I wish to argue with you on this.

99% positive he will have to start differently than you run your business.

I know what is better and even agree with you. Less physical work from me is always better. I would rather work smarter than harder. I just do not see myself going like you and Russ do because I DO NOT LIKE THE BUSINESS. NOTHING ABOUT THE HOME INSPECTION BIZ. I could like the Insurance Biz if it were not for the heat. I hate the heat. I do what I do to survive and untill I figure out a better plan. I am good, fast, efficient and my clients like me but I do not like the biz :slight_smile:

Michael, you confuse me, as usual. You say you dislike this and you dislike that. Why do you think 99% of changes to ANYTHING are made? Because they like it? No, because they dislike it.

A true business man, can be successful in BUSINESS. Not any single type of business, but any business. The problem is not the product, its the method in which the product is made, presented and delivered.

So lets take YOU HATE the heat! Lets go with that. Why not hire a peron to go into the attics and do that portion why you d the outside, the paperwork and talk to the client. Use a tablet, an eye-fi card. You can knock out, what 15 a day with a helper and proper scheduling? Lets say you get $100 a pop (yes people will pay it). $1500 a day in your pocket, pay the helper $20 an hour and they make say $180 a day, another $250 for expenses (per day) So you got $430 in payments and that leaves you $1070 a day in your pocket. Not a bad days wages and over $100,000 a year, no attic, no attic heat.

So, in short you really need to see that most of every single product, improvement, modification comes from a dislike and not a like…

Just my opinion…keep it, throw it away…up to you.

I do not disagree with anything you say:)

iT IS AS SIMPLE AS i DONOT WANT TO DO IT FOR A LIVING.

iT IS NOT THAT i CANNOT OR WON’T.

i AM in A PLACE IN MY LIFE WHERE i REALLY WANT TO ENJOY WHAT i DO.

tHE INSPECTION BUSINESS IS NOT IT.

I could make a living at it I could go multi inspector I Just do not like anything about the biz.

It is not an insult to anyone I know those who are the most successful have a passion for it. I DO NOT.

I do what I do and do it well to get by for now.

It is a huge step back from where I once was and the type of business revenue I was once involved with.

I do not see what is so wrong with wanting to find something I am passionate about or am happy with?

This just is not it but I am good enough at it to make my clients happy and to get by.

I have had a bit of bad luck the last 6 or seven years. I think I will eventually be able to find something that makes me want to get up in the morning.

Telling the OP to ride with one man show is just my opinion of hem seeing what he will “LIKELY” not for sure be doing for some time until he builds the type of clientele you an john have earned and have… It is not a easy job for one to start off with and I believe the OP thinks “maybe” some day he could be where you and john are but he is smart enough to know he will not just magically start off there.

I wish him the best of luck like I do all in this biz and hope he makes the most of it :slight_smile:

You seem to always come back to financial matters. I understand you don’t like the business, but once again, what do you NOT like about it? Start there, you may find yourself creating a whole new concept that really pays off.

Mainly the clients, Realtors, scheduling, jumping thru unneeded hoops etc…

I used to be appreciated for my service and quality of work I provided.

It is mostly about price in this biz for me.

I just miss the ole days I guess.

I like dealing with hundreds of homes at a time and making a fair price for the service I provide. Doing what I am contracted to do and putting out immediate fires.

I do not like dealing with small one on one jobs.

Currently the profits are not there. if you have super deep pockets you can pay all your guys and cut yourself a check but it takes waiting a month at a time to get paid then getting 10% held back then getting nickel-ed and dimed to death for every penny.

My issue is my whole profession has changed and I do not have deep enough pockets to play anymore.

My Partner, Mentor, father died and with that I inherited his business to run minus one thing… All the money in the companies name.

My company was doing fine until the crash when all I worked for whether went out of biz or decided to renegotiate their contracts. I had no choice but to agree or quit. My best choice would have been to sell out but I made the mistake of trying to keep all my employees and subs working. iT IS NOT AND DID NOT WORK OUT.

i USED TO GET HANDED THE PLANS FOR A Stucco project and asked for a price 3 weeks later. Now I am sent a PDF which normally cost 2 to 3 hundred dollars to print up just to do the take off.
I want to deal with 1000 at a pop not 1.

Just the way I have done it most of my life.

Some day i’ll figure out a way to bring home the bacon I am accustomed to just not now :frowning:

Good night. I’ll catch up in the morning :slight_smile: