Is getting my own lock box access worth it?

was recently asked if i have my own access to lock boxes. is it worth the cost? thank you

Isn’t that was agents are paid for? To provide access? What else are they doing to earn their 3-6% versus your 0.1%??

3 Likes

I’ve never bothered with it, I’m sure others have their own opinion…

1 Like

Personally, I will not go into an occupied property without an agent present. If I need to enter a vacant home, I have the agent send me a 1-day pass code.

2 Likes

Only you know the answer to the question since it’s 100% about you and your business.

It varies from area to area. In some areas it’s expected that you would have it and some areas it’s not necessary. If you keeping getting asked if you have electronic access you will know you need to get it. I have it myself and like it

2 Likes

It was to me, until about the last 5 years when the agents started using combo locks in protest of higher prices on the Supra, etc., boxes.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Ryan!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Larry… in my area they are using Supra boxes to put the code #s for the code box with the key in it. PITA for the agents, but works well for us when we reach out to the LA. :wink:

…until the key isn’t in there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Personally, I like having having a suprakey. I do not have to meet agents or worry if they are late etc. Agents in my area are also very accustomed to inspectors having a suprakey and would likely not have you on a referral list without one. I do not care if they are lazy, does not bother me a bit.

6 Likes

My wife is a RE agent and HI apprentice under me. Never had a problem with access and when she couldn’t be there, never have I had a problem with access. It’s always worked out prior to the inspection. One less expense for me.

2 Likes

I have a handful of agents who always open for me. Most stay for the inspection. I respect that group though it appears to be old school. Newer agents just send the CBS code and that is about the extent of their participation. My mother and step mother were agents for 30 years. They would never dream of not attending an inspection. They did not have teams back then either. Tossing clients around from showing coordinators, contract coordinators, closing coordinators etc. I remember looking at hand written inspections with photos loaded on a Disc. Things change rapidly.

2 Likes

I have two inspections tomorrow and both houses are on Supra eKey®. I will let myself in a couple hours before the buyers and Realtors get there so I have plenty of uninterrupted time to write most of the report as I go.
I prefer it this way. I have it for my convenience, not theirs. But I know that a lot of them also find it to be convenient so its a win-win thing for me.

2 Likes

Sure beats trying to schedule around an agent’s time…In my area it is essential to have Supra access. Also great if you need to run out to place/pickup a radon monitor or do a quick meth test (on your own time). It also helps to keep the Agents and others away from Your Inspection.

Before the local BOR let us (lowly) inspectors have Supra access, most agents would only use “Their Guy” that had access to a relative’s Supra key, that happened to be a “Realtor”.

I do take some precautions as far as liability, I always do the roof and outside first. And check for unlocked doors, and if found I take a time stamped pic to document the unsecured house before accessing the Supra…just in case of any accusations. Oh’ and because I’m normally alone on 80% of inspections, I always inspect while armed.

5 Likes

Hello Ryan -
My opinion only - I’ve never bothered with it, and have no desire to do it. I don’t need the expense or the liability.
Often I have agents provide the 1-day code, or the combination for combo boxes. I will only do this for vacant properties AND the code has to be sent to me by text or email (so I can keep it on the record). I will typically respond to the text with “is the homeowner’s permission confirmed”.

I have Sentricard here. Totally worth it. It only costs like $200 for the whole year. I don’t have time to wait around for agents. I can go pick up a radon machine and I’m in and out in 5 minutes, no waiting around. Agents are often late for inspections too. It does put the burden of locking everything back up when you’re done, so be aware of that, but I haven’t had any issues.

4 Likes

I find it is worth the money. I use it on 80% of my inspections. Also the agents that do not like to attend the inspections will use you. Also its great when someone cancels at the last minute. I can call or text the agent and ask to perform another inspection that is on the PAR box. If the property is vacant its usually not a problem. FYI, the listing agent is notified every time you access the key.

1 Like

This is a bit of a issue with me as here in Saskatchewan all the realtors in the Saskatoon area belong to the SRAR -Saskatoon Regional Association of Realtors. They have there lock box code via phone app . As an Inspector I can join for $2500.00 to start and then $250. a month.
This puts on me the responsibility to enter and lock up the house on my own. The rest of Saskatchewan the realtor like the rest of the country needs to be present to safe guard the sellers property, (that is the law in Canada, as I know it) The realtors in this area have gotten very lazy in my opinion, they do not want to use an inspector that does not have his own code key. Realtors split 5% fees 3 to the selling and 2 to the buyers on 250000(this is on the lower end of the price point where $380000 is average, they make a min of $5000. I make $400.)
I am not busy and I don’t think I will be as I think it is not my responsibility to be safe guard the sellers house. I mean I do not damage the property while doing inspections but I don’t make enough to warrant the fees. I think, just my thoughts.
I know there are some of you that will say it’s the cost of doing business but it’s one regional association making an exception! At Quite a cost. Have a great day and work safe, and stay health. I had a couple small strokes in September, and that has changed a lot of things.
Darwin Hodges

That is ridiculous, Darwin. :flushed:

5 Likes