Is no news good news?? Florida Legislation

Originally Posted By: jmertins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone heard if that pen has moved off the Gov. desk?

John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

sombody from prolabs called me yesterday because I said that i was not going to do anything untill we found out what was going on. She said it was a done deal I said oh really did the gov sign it she said i dont know I said then its not a done deal. I gave her a lesson on how it was passed by the senate then by the house but that it was waiting for the gov.

I should have asked her if she ever watched school house rock as a kid. Im thinking not. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Had a conversation yesterday with someone who had done some research on Florida legislation and it was explained to me like this; the Governor has 15 days to either sign or veto the bill, if he does nothing then the bill passes into law. I believe that is most the likely course for this bill, it will just quietly become law without any further endorsement.

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Is the clock running as we speak or has it yet to be laid on his desk?

John Mertins

Baxter Home Inspections, Inc.

"Greatness courts failure"

Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Every bill passed by the legislature shall be presented to the governor for approval and shall become a law if the governor approves and signs it, or fails to veto it within seven consecutive days after presentation. If during that period or on the seventh day the legislature adjourns sine die or takes a recess of more than thirty days, the governor shall have fifteen consecutive days from the date of presentation to act on the bill. In all cases except general appropriation bills, the veto shall extend to the entire bill. The governor may veto any specific appropriation in a general appropriation bill, but may not veto any qualification or restriction without also vetoing the appropriation to which it relates.

Originally Posted By: ladams

Ok now what does that mean? When will we know if it passes or not? One January 2006? or perhaps Oct 1,2005 for the mold?

Thanks,

Lind Adams

727-233-1038

MDA Group Inc. Home & Mold Inspections

www.mdagroupinc.com

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

As a follow-up I just read today in the St. Petersburg Times that the Governor has never vetoed a spending bill yet, I would bank on this thing becoming law.

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: mark finnerty

The bill has not been presented to the Jeb yet. The leaders in the house sent bills to him in blocks and have not sent several bills up yet. Once he has received the bill he has 15 days to veto it or sign it. If he does nothing after the 15 days it then becomes law.

I previously posted that he had line item veto on non-budget bills but that is not the case. He must veto the entire bill or the entire bill will become law.

Once again I urge you to email him. Staffers have told me that he does read ALL his email. Once he reads it, he passes it on to department heads and they are forwarded it to the appropriate annalist.

I would suggest that you include in the subject line of the email something to the effect of "HB315 / SB 1830 Please veto. "

I would keep the email brief and include a statement about the negative impact the bill will have on you, as well as the negative impact it will have on the consumers of the Florida.

IE; the inability for home buyers to determine if a home they are buying may have a problem that requires further investigation
or
the fact that it exempts so many occupations that have no training in mold issues, thereby leaving the consumer unprotected from incompetence and ignorance.

I am happy to help in any way I can.

--
Mark Finnerty
www.badmoldlaw.com
850-259-1288

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

Did I miss read the bill, it seems like a good thing to me. I dont think they are asking much of us. If what I read is correct, if you cant meet this simple requirement WOW.

HB 315 creates 501.935 in the Florida Statutes. It is not a licensing act but required certain minimum requirements to offer services as a home inspector. This statute requires a written report and basically requires inspectors to follow the ASHI Standards of Practice. Prior to inspecting prospective new home inspectors are required to complete 60 hours of a ?course of study and examination? and then complete at least 8 hours of continuing education each year.

Inspectors are required to maintain general liability insurance and disclose to clients that they have completed the course of study and how many inspections they have performed or the number of year?s experience they have.

Grandfathering Provisions - Persons who have been in business at least 3 years prior to Jan 1 2006 and has performed at least 250 home inspections for a fee.

Originally Posted By: gporter

we are concerned about the mold. I did not see ashi referenced anywhere.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

If you listen to this board most of the members are against mold testing

There are some of us that do Mold Testing. We have had training taken test. Now the lenders will not give a loan without a mold inspection. So now the home owner will have to pay a I.H. $3000.00 for a Mold test? because the way the law is being written you will have to be a I.H. in order to do the testing. to me that is a lot of money to put out when you are buying a house. In addition to all of the other fees you have to pay when purchasing a new home.

Just my 2 cents.

Lind Adams

727-233-1038

www.mdagroupinc.com

Originally Posted By: gporter

ditto

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

Gary Van Florcke wrote:

![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Not me. I do Mold testing and would like to continue as I have mucho $$ in advertising that I do Mold.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: jbushart

rzimmerman1 wrote:
Gary Van Florcke wrote:

![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Not me. I do Mold testing and would like to continue as I have mucho $$ in advertising that I do Mold.

How many of you are continuing your email campaign with the Governor's office?

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman1

[quote="jbushart]

How many of you are continuing your email campaign with the Governor’s office?[/quote]

Me ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

valued quote from James Bushart
"An association of members will stick together and be there for each other, whether they are directly affected or not."

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Me, too.

I shared with him how concerned I was that the huge cost of mold inspections would discourage people from getting them, putting my daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren who live in Florida at risk. I let him know that I had to re-think my plans to move there, now.

Perhaps he could get about 5,400 more emails similar to this one.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: Dave Thomas

I wrote,

Dear Governor Bush,

Please veto HB315 / SB 1830. As much as I love the Home inspector bill, I cannot endorse the Mold assessor portion as it is written.

1. I thought the bill was not to unduly restrict entry to a profession. THIS BILL DOES UNDULY RESTRICT.......

2. I do not consider my Mold assessment skills "1 hour certified wonder" as others have put it. I realize I am not a Microbiologist. I am a continuing education in progress. 10 hrs already this year, 35 + hrs last year on CIE "Certified Indoor Environmentalist" By a national organization IAQA .

I am a 1 man company, Mold Inspector as well as Home inspector. With the new 2 year or 4 year College requirement, I will be out of the Mold assessment business. So many of my clients depend on my knowledge and timely response. I have spent many hours on IAQA, CIE, Continuing education for mold assessment.

3. The consumer will now have to pay engineers and Industrial hygienists thousands of dollars for the same job which can be performed by a competent Mold assessor with out 4 years of microbiology for a fraction of the cost IN A TIMELY BASIS. The IH's will never be able to keep up. Much like the FL roofers and contractors since the storms.

Dave Thomas, Pres., RPI, CIE.
www.inspectnetinc.comH

I am still emailing the gov. Daily. Perhaps he will read one of them icon_smile.gif

Lind Adams

727-233-1038

www.mdagroupinc.com

Originally Posted By: Dave Thomas

Linda,

Are you sending the same letter each time, or do you think that they can screen daily duplicates out. I have been copying the same letter forwarded the next day.

Dave Thomas
www.Inspectnetinc.com