Is this pipe PB?

Ok here it goes - is this PB? I have turned the picture upside down already so you can read the markings without having to turn your device upside down.

Fixture supply lines don’t count as in wall water supply piping .

2 Likes

It appears to be PB, or very similar to PB. But as Roy said above, PB fixture supply tubing does not seem to carry the same black eye that the PB distribution piping does.

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

I do not call out those little supply pipes. Like @rlewis5 said.

1 Like

Since PB seems to be the hot topic tonight, do we know why PB fixture supply tubing is ok? I haven’t called them out either, based on conversations on the forum. But what makes them different or immune to the issues the distribution lines have?

1 Like

Does it say PB on it? And, the plastic fittings were a huge part of the problem. Much of the PB with copper/brass fittings are in service still today. Oh, and reported failure rate, does it exist?

1 Like

You cut off part of my question, lol.

I was just asking because it seems like most inspectors (including me and Roy evidently) do not call out PB fixture supply tubing. So, my question is, why is it immune to the issues that the PB distribution pipe has? Should it be immune? Should we be calling it out?

1 Like

Because we do not know if it PB. I have not seen markings in the little stuff to identify it as such. Have you?

2 Likes

Good point. No, I haven’t. Usually the markings are very small and for the most part unreadable from under the sink or whatever. And as I get older the ol’ eyesight aint what it used to be.

Thankfully we are all in agreement that it is fine, lol.

2 Likes

Those dont have crimp rings. Supply lines are installed with a compression fitting under the nut, and a flared fitting at the other end. No other joints to worry about.

1 Like

I was under the impression that the issues with PB were due to the chlorine and other chemicals in the water. But I do know there are some sources out there that blame it on the fittings.

1 Like

UPDATE: I googled ASTM D3309 - this is the spec for PB , I just answered my original question

“ASTM D 3309” are the markings visible on the tubing/pipe in the image I provided in the post

The context for when it gets called out is a completely separate topic. This is for a FOUR POINT report in FL.

• see my previous post to read my original question “ Is this PB”

Note - even INTERNACHI’s library article makes no mention of this ASTM spec

Polybutylene for Inspectors

by Nick Gromicko, CMI® and Kenton Shepard

1 Like

Nice find. I found this. I am still digging.

1 Like

That is not what the 4 point is asking about, and I wouldnt even mention the possibility on the 4 point, unless you want to have clients and agents pissed.

1 Like