It's cold in Canada, learn how to inspect fireplaces...

http://www.nachi.tv/episode31

Good one Nick, thanks for the show. We got to let the fire out in the igloo this week and hung up the mukluks. Now it’s 2 months of bad snowmobiling.

Yeah Nick I am not afraid to admit your TV episodes are a good thing. Heck even I watch them! Hows that for an endorsement? :wink:

Raymond just gave Nick a compliment, That’s it I have had waaay too many beers tonight! Ha Ha!

Now now, be nice…:mrgreen: … Over the years, I’ve found that Ray will give respect and compliments where they are due. He does not pay lip service, which I think is great cuz you always know where you stand. :wink:

Ray…brace yourself. The above compliment to you was given by me, a member of the dreaded ESOP.

Ray Wand writes:

Thanks Ray! It truly means a lot to me. Many don’t realize what goes into a 10 minute instructional show like this. Mike had to fly out from NY, we had to go on location at 2 different homes, we used 3 cameras (our first 3 camera show), editing, hosting (note how clear it is and no buffering or downloading), etc. Anyway, thank you.

And here are some interesting stats about NACHI.TV:

Average editing time: 2.1 hours of editing per minute of show (for instance, we shot the chimney show on Friday and Valerie didn’t finish the editing until Wednesday afternoon).

Average server power: About 60 times that of YouTube.com for the same length show… the price we pay for clear broadcast with no buffering.

Amount of tape used: With 3 cameras, bloopers, and multiple takes, we shoot about 20 times as much footage as ends up in a show. On average we shoot about 3 hours of footage to create a 10 minute show.

Average total production cost: $540 per minute. So a 10 minute show costs us about $5,400 to produce on average.

Very Professional …
It is a shame that this message board does not reflect the professionalism that NACHI TV does.

Franks quotable quote of the day!

… and like you know anything about professionalism given your desire to write in the manner you do. When you were a policeman did you abuse your position of trust then?

I agree Brian and that was not said in any ill will towards Ray , I hope he understands that and I believe he can see the humour in it. After all we all must enjoy one another around here don’t we.

Actually Brian summed me up pretty well. I don’t pay lip service and I will tell it like it is. I truly appreciate the summation! Really! :slight_smile:

nachi tv Super Fantastic Idea, well done

One of the important things to remember in Canada, is you should be WETT certified to inspect a fireplace or solid fuel burning appliance.
Most insurance companies demand a WETT inspection now.

And if you are W.E.T.T. certified in Canada, make sure you add it to www.nachi.org/ancillary.htm so that you show up in www.InspectorLocator.com and other places InterNACHI controls.

I be the same Ray. As Joe F said in another thread, I am an independant thinker.

Charles,
The weather is never too bad for snowmobiling!

Every summer when it is pouring rain in the middle of July, my buddies and I will go out and run the sleds down a wet grass field to give them some exersize. (And to have fun!)
We never have to cut the grass in that area for the rest of the summer.

And make sure you charge for the WETT inspection. As we know some inspectors who do not know the value of education just “throw in a WETT inspection for free”

It is like the sign on a snowmobile shop read…“If you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet.”

Knowledge is power.

As a long time W.E.T.T. certified inspector I thought I should add my two cents worth. Anyone with the required knowledge can and should inspect wood burning appliances to some degree during a home inspection, it is a safety issue after all. The W.E.T.T. certification is what the insurance companies are demanding when providing insurance to a client with a wood burning appliance. A site-built (masonry) fireplace usually does not require a W.E.T.T. certified inspection, although factory-built units do, but this of course depends on the insurance company. I have even seen insurance comapanies ok a free-standing wood stove with no W.E.T.T. inspection, so go figure. The bottom line is that if you are going to inspect and report on a wood burning appliance you have to know what you are doing because peoples lives could be at stake.
P.S. I always charge for a W.E.T.T. inspection on a pre-purchse inspection. The inspection is ‘free’ (price included) for a pre-sale inspection, which I must say don’t seem to be popular enough in this area. Marketing, marketing, marketing!

I have seen some local insurance people demand a WETT on a gas fired insert and on a stand alone gas fired stove. It is just another way the insurance industry has of trying to download responsibility! :twisted:
</IMG>

The TV episodes are getting better and better. Keep up the good work!